News Feed Discussions Had my surgery done finally – Shouldice Reply To: Had my surgery done finally – Shouldice

• Watchful

December 9, 2022 at 11:29 am

Chuck,

I’m too close to the surgery to know if I’ll be dealing with any lingering issues or not. I need to see where I am when a reasonable healing period is done. I’m not where I expected to be in terms of recovery at this point, but healing is still going on, and things should get better.

The observation that my case was a fairly poor fit for a Shouldice procedure isn’t coming from me or from my research. It came from my surgeon. This doesn’t mean that I won’t have a good outcome, but it resulted in a challenging surgery which is something that one should really try to avoid.

There’s a problem with going to places that use a single procedure such as the Shouldice Hospital, Dr. Kang, and Dr. Tomas. The problem is that you act as your own doctor in the sense that you pick the treatment, and you may pick wrong for your particular case. I think for non-trivial cases, it’s best to go to someone who is good with a number of procedures (tissue repair as well as mesh), and can make an informed decision before or during surgery. Too bad there are only very few such surgeons.