News Feed Discussions Hernia Journal Special Issue on Chronic Pain Reply To: Hernia Journal Special Issue on Chronic Pain

• Good intentions

February 15, 2023 at 12:20 pm

The special issue/collection on chronic pain after hernia repair is out now. Some of the articles are open access, some are pay-per-view. I have posted links to several of them in the past.

I have not looked through all of them but I don’t see any signs that there are suggestions for improving outcomes, identifying possible causes, or recommending that certain products or methods be avoided. It looks like the typical report of how things are now, confirming the seriousness of the problem, but not suggesting a path forward. Even Dr. Campanelli’s editorial is deflating, as it comes close to victim-blaming in its tone, and falls back on the large number of surgeries performed as somehow justifying the large number of chronic pain cases. Ignoring the concept of percentages or ratios.

Anyway, it is a decent summary of the current state-of-the-situation from professionals in the field.

https://link.springer.com/journal/10029/volumes-and-issues/27-1