News Feed Discussions The best strategy for the management of inguinodynia is prevention Reply To: The best strategy for the management of inguinodynia is prevention

• Good intentions

April 16, 2023 at 9:10 am

Hello watchful. One of your paragraphs caught my eye. I think that you have over-simplified, maybe kind of extrapolated from how easy it looks to implant the mesh. The thought that the peritoneum is a weakly attached membrane that can be easily peeled from the fascia, to allow a piece of innocuous woven plastic mesh to be placed between it and the fascia.

I am at five years plus since mesh removal and the area that has had the peritoneum peeled off of the mesh, repositioned, and sewed back together is not really close to the way it was before surgery, although some fo my past posts seem hopeful. It is still stiff and gets sore after things like extended walks. It is much better than with the mesh but the damage that was done is still very obvious, even today. I still feel like somebody who suffered a severe accident eight years ago (a mesh-based hernia repair) and is still recovering. My broken collar bone and damaged ankles and knee all seemed very significant when they happened but they have recovered to a much higher degree than the ravaged mesh area.

“One last thing on this is that most tissue repairs (including Shouldice) aren’t really reversible. The anatomy is changed, and you can’t go back to the original if you have problems. With mesh, you can have the mesh removed. This can be a difficult and complex surgery, but it’s at least possible to get pretty close to a “normal” groin since the anatomy isn’t modified.”