News Feed Discussions Looking for recommended hernia experts in Oregon? Reply To: Looking for recommended hernia experts in Oregon?

• Good intentions

August 16, 2017 at 4:43 am
    quote drtowfigh:

Fair enough.

The mesh and its exact type and lot number should be logged somewhere in each patient’s medical records. Usually it’s in the nursing record of the operation.

Thank you, I’ll see if I can get those records. My surgery was done in an Ambulatory Surgery Center though, and there was just the surgeon, the anesthesiologist and an assistant. Outpatient. For all I know his records are all that exist.

By the way, I’m not trying to compete. I appreciate this site that you’ve put together. I think that all of us, patients and surgeons alike, are hindered by the bureaucracy and fear-of-lawsuits of the medical industry as it exists today, as far as learning about the best way to get things done. I call it an industry because that is how it behaves.

My surgeon has put forth extra effort, sitting through three denials for an MRI and a panel discussion to justify it, to help me figure out what is going on. Even though he has other patients, I’m sure, who are battling much more serious issues. I think that he wants to know also.

We can’t fix things though, by just accepting barriers and the status quo. Please don’t take offense as I dig in to the problem.