News Feed Discussions How long can inguinal hernia repair be expected to last Reply To: How long can inguinal hernia repair be expected to last

• Good intentions

October 11, 2017 at 7:55 pm
    quote ajm222:

I had tons of questions for him and he basically reassured me that though nothing is guaranteed, the incidence of chronic pain is related to certain things that I am personally pretty low risk for, and it’s also related to experience and skill of the surgeon.

Good luck. I really do hope that you’re lucky enough to have a good experience. Your story is essentially exactly what several people have been describing. Reassuring words, from the same playbook, but no direct evidence. Did he describe any patients that he worked on who he’s been in contact with, confirming the things he was telling you? What you were told is what everybody is told. I hate to be cynical but it really is, almost to the word. Also, you’ve chosen the surgeon who said the most comforting words.

You’re going to wake up and find that he did find a small defect on the other side and placed some mesh there. It really doesn’t make sense, for those believing in the power of the mesh, to dissect that large area of tissue, then just leave it with no mesh placed. There will always be a lipoma or a small stretched area, that is a “defect”. Again, this is my cynical view. But there really is a “wave” of mesh apostles out there.

Can you remember the “certain things” that he told you about people who have mesh problems? The “skinny people tend to have more problems” meme is out there, but it seems to be used after the fact, to explain problems, rather than as a screening tool for patients. Curious to know what he told you.

Again, good luck. But you’re on the well-worn path. It’s hard to get off of it.