News Feed Discussions How long can inguinal hernia repair be expected to last Reply To: How long can inguinal hernia repair be expected to last

• Good intentions

October 11, 2017 at 8:00 pm
    quote WasInTN:

ajm222
    I had right IH repaired by Dr. Goodyear of PA and it was 3+ years since and I have had no worries. An occasional dull twitch happens once in a while for a few minutes when I sit in wrong posture or twist my legs, and then it goes away. I think it is kind of nerve irritation. I am happy with what I had. If I remember correctly (yes I do), Dr. G said the mesh will stay for a life time. And it is 8x stronger than the original body tissue. I think the mesh is Ultrapro or something like that. Not sure of that exact name but you can find it from Dr. G’s office or website. He even said that when a person with mesh dies, it can be retrieved intact. Anyways…

As I have been saying on this forum and elsewhere, this much I know about IH repair. It happens due to a weakness in your tissue that holds the internal organs. Once that tissue is weak and a bulge forms you have IH and it can get worse over a time depending on your activities. Does a surgery fix it? It is immaterial to know what type of surgery but does it fix it? Sure it does but does it fix it FOREVER? The answer is “Nobody knows.” Why? Because it depends on what you do after surgery.

Lasting a lifetime, and the strength of the mesh are not the real problems. Anyone who talks about the strength of the mesh as a consideration is really just dissembling.

A lifetime of limited activity, with discomfort or pain if you try to do more, doesn’t seem like something to look forward to.