News Feed Discussions I had removal surgery today! Inguinal hernia with LG bard 3d max Reply To: I had removal surgery today! Inguinal hernia with LG bard 3d max

• Good intentions

December 27, 2017 at 8:43 pm

That’s great that it looks like you found a solution. It’s interesting that two tacks were used for Bard’s 3-D Max product. Their sales literature touts the fact that it “eliminates the need for fixation”. One of the major pushes for its development was to avoid the very problem that you ended up with. It’s supposed to fit the space so well that it doesn’t need tacks. And certainly not metal tacks, the mesh is supposed to be incorporated in to the tissue. If a tack was used to hold the mesh it would be an absorbable tack, I believe.

It might be that the metal tacks were used to attach the hernia sac to surrounding tissue after it was pulled back in. Apparently that’s common. But I thought that they normally used the pubic bone. It looks more like your original surgeon just got lost in what he was doing and didn’t even confirm proper tack placement. Or worse, lost them and didn’t take the time to get them out. That stretched tack looks like an instrument error to me, not from the mesh pulling on it. Like he pulled the tacker away before it was clipped. It should have shown up on your MRI too, I think. It’s metal.

I’m not a medical doctor though, so maybe stretched and misplaced tacks are commonly left inside the patient.

Good luck.

https://www.crbard.com/Davol/en-US/products/All-Products/3dmax-mesh