News Feed Discussions 3-week point – a few questions, a bit concerned

• 3-week point – a few questions, a bit concerned

Posted by gc1234 on July 16, 2019 at 8:21 pm

EDIT: It’s been 2 weeks, not 3. That was a typo.

Hello all,

This is the first post I’m making. Had I found this community before my surgery, I would’ve definitely gone the traditional route of open surgery. It is what it is.

Anyways, I’m 25 years old, 5’6 180 lbs. Relatively in shape before the surgery. I was diagnosed with a direct inguinal hernia on the left side. It didn’t give me much discomfort, even at the gym, but I began to feel it more and more after the manual hernia-check (coughing after the doc, you know, sticks his hands up your groin). Anyways, I ended up having the mesh installed via laparoscopy. The surgery took about thirty minutes. I don’t know any of the specific details concerning the material or dimensions of the mesh.

Recovery has been . . . slow. Being back to normal in a week? Yeah, that’s a lie. The surgeon (known in my area for repairing faulty hernias, won’t share name yet) gave me a more realistic timeframe of 6-8 weeks, and about 6 to 12 months to be 100% better, if 100% recovery is something in the realm of possibility.

My questions revolve around some shooting pains I’ve had for the past two days. I’ve been doing OK with my recovery, and yesterday, I felt great. While my groin is still tender to touch, the swelling had gone down and I could wear pants with a belt for most of the day and not feel any pain. Any other pains I did feel were felt mostly at the end of the day, which is normal for any injury recovery, I guess, or at least the ones I’ve experienced. Anyways, yesterday morning, I was feeling great. I dropped my keys. I didn’t bend with my back; instead, I bent my right leg, my knee touching the ground, with my left leg (hernia was on the left side) pointing out, as if I had just done a lunge in place without lurching forward at all. As I got up, I put some weight on my left leg — again, I was feeling great — and as I stood up, a strong shooting pain made itself present. It went from my groin, down through my innermost thigh almost to the point where it felt like it COULD be in the back of my leg, down to side/almost back of my knee. Every step I took, I’d feel it.

This continued for most of the day and it let up towards night. Today, I still feel it but much less.

Is this a normal thing to feel during recovery, and especially at the 2-week mark? At what point do I start to become really concerned with this?

Please, feel free to ask me any questions that may help you give me an appropriate answer.

gc1234 replied 4 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • gc1234

July 16, 2019 at 8:22 pm

EDIT: It’s been two weeks, not three. That was a typo.

As a follow up, the shooting pains/muscle tightness and spasms occur mostly after sitting down and/or standing up, or as I enter/exit my car and shortly afterwards.