News Feed Discussions 5 months in post-op

• 5 months in post-op

Posted by dh305 on November 26, 2019 at 1:39 am

Had an umbilical hernia repair (no mesh per doctor). Had no problems post-op other than a little soreness. Only felt it when lying down in bed for the night. All of the sudden the last few weeks it’s acted up around mid-belly. If I do cardio, etc. a few hours later it gets sore. Almost like a bruised feeling deep down.

any ideas what can be causing this? No mesh was used for the repair. This is concerning.

thanks in advance

dh305 replied 4 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • dh305

November 30, 2019 at 9:10 pm

[USER=”2580″]DrBrown[/USER] Thank you. I did run by your suggestions of injections by my doctor. He keeps telling me to give it time.

I just don’t know how more time will help at this point. We will see I guess.

thanks again to all.

• DrBrown

November 30, 2019 at 8:50 pm

[USER=”2987″]dh305[/USER]
    Dear DH.
    I agree with Good Intentions.
    The mesh the probably the source of your trouble.
    The pain related to mesh will sometimes improve with time. I advise patients to wait one year before deciding whether or not to have the mesh removed.
    Injection of the mesh with steroids will sometimes help. Nerve blocks sometimes help.
    Work with your surgeon.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD

• dh305

November 30, 2019 at 1:42 pm

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it was done laparoscopically. I originally went in for a right direct hernia and the doctor felt during the physical exam a little umbilical hernia that we decided he would take care of when he was operating. The left indirect one was discovered during the procedure and I authorized the doctor to correct it if he found one while operating (my idea before I went in…wish I kept my mouth shut and just did the right)

Murphy’s Law: the left side has always given me problems, the right, not so much post-op

you are absolutely correct in stating that the surgery and the outcome was far worse. I had no symptoms other than a little bulge on the right side and no discomfort whatsoever. Wish I would’ve never done the procedure.

thanks for your explanation on the umbilical area. That does make sense. I am just concerned, because that never really gave me a problem, but now that I was cleared for activity a few months ago, the soreness there seems to have increased whereas there was really nothing before that I felt except when I used my abdominal for things like getting in and out of bed.

• Good intentions

November 30, 2019 at 3:52 am

[USER=”2987″]dh305[/USER] second try

• Good intentions

November 30, 2019 at 3:51 am
    quote dh305:

[USER=”2580″]DrBrown[/USER]

I did request my operative notes like many on this board suggest, and it said that my right side was a direct hernia, left side was an indirect hernia and umbilical was “incidental“. Prolene mesh 3 x 6 used on both inguinal hernias.

You didn’t mention the other hernias and the use of mesh in your first post. The mesh will cause the areas it contacts to shrink and stiffen. This most likely puts abnormal stress on the umbilical area. So, even though no mesh was used for the umbilical hernia repair, the other two pieces of mesh are probably affecting it. The size of the mesh looks like you had a laparoscopic procedure done.

What was your original reason for seeing a doctor?

Your case might be an example of how the secondary affects of a surgery can be worse than the original problem. Good luck.

@dh305

• dh305

November 29, 2019 at 6:40 pm

[USER=”2580″]DrBrown[/USER] Thank you. He did an exam. Also examined both sides of groin and wasn’t concerned. I’ve explained that all areas are sore, especially given increased activity, and he just says everything feels completely in place from the surgery. I’ve asked for imaging, and he will not order it. Says it is unnecessary and “time is on my side“. I am almost 6 months into this, and just do not see how that can be normal. Surgeon is in his late 60s (which is why I went to him, as he’s a very seasoned vet). He seems very confident and is very conservative.

I did request my operative notes like many on this board suggest, and it said that my right side was a direct hernia, left side was an indirect hernia and umbilical was “incidental“. Prolene mesh 3 x 6 used on both inguinal hernias.

at this point, I just do not see how “time“ is going to somehow make the discomfort magically go away one day to a point where I feel like my normal self again.

• DrBrown

November 28, 2019 at 6:34 pm

[USER=”2987″]dh305[/USER]
    Most likely the soreness is nothing dangerous.
    Rest your body and then slowly return to activity.
    If the troubles persist, ask your surgeon to check the repair.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD