News Feed Discussions 77 yr old mom inguinal hernia incid. found on CT–can it be left alone ?

• 77 yr old mom inguinal hernia incid. found on CT–can it be left alone ?

Posted by alliej on February 19, 2019 at 5:30 am

As title above states, my mom is 77 yr old and her health is bit fragile. Incidentally, an INGUINAL HERNIA was found on a CT scan about a month ago. Her primary dr referred her to a hernia surgeon. We didn’t make an appt yet to see the hernia surgeon–most likely, he’ll want to operate on it…(Not to be cynical, but I can’t imagine a surgeon who would say no to a surgery but of course I have to give that whole meeting a chance to happen.)
    I have MIXED FEELINGs, on my mom at her age getting surgery for this, as the hernia itself doesn’t really bother her, as far as pain is concerned. She does have a SLIGHT BULGE in that area, but that’s really about it.

The only way I feel I would be OK her getting surgery, if it’s done as an OPEN REPAIR, under LOCAL Anesthesia, but it seems like most dr’s just do laparascopic which is gen. anesthesia only, from what I understand.I’m in SOUTH FLORIDA (West Palm Beach surrounding area), by the way, and my mom’s Humana HMO only gives her about 3 or 4 choices for hernia surgeons.

I would love to here from patients, caregivers, dr’s…anyone on HERE who can give me more sound information as to what to do, if anything…
    My thinking is…she wouldn’t have known about it, if it weren’t for the CT scan…and I’m worried once she has surgery on it, then it’ll start bothering her ?! I don’t want to be fearful about surgery if it’s going to help her, but I still see LAPAR. SURGERY as RISKY.

thanks in advance 🙂 to all who post.

alliej replied 5 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • alliej

February 25, 2019 at 4:25 am

Dear Dr Brown,

Thank you for your answer 🙂

• DrBrown

February 22, 2019 at 4:37 am

Dear Alliej.
    It is reasonable to see a surgeon. He/she will be able to tell you more about the hernia (direct or indirect). He/she should be gentle during the examination and thus not cause your mother any pain. If she decides to have the hernia repaired, then a open repair with local anesthesia and sedation is the safest method. I prefer a non mesh repair. The lap hernia repairs require general anesthesia, which should be avoided in a frail woman.
    But again, if the hernia is not giving her any trouble, she does not need to have an operation.
    Best wishes.
    Bill Brown MD

• alliej

February 20, 2019 at 5:23 am

Hi Dr Brown,

I so appreciate you responding to my question. 🙂
    As much as I like my mom’s primary dr, he made it sound like she should go see the hernia surgeon, but I think that’s more for legal reasons, than for anything else. (IT’s a bit of a factory farm env’t in FL when it comes to dr’s but that’s neither here nor there.)

I should mention that when I went with her last time to her primary dr., he actually touched the hernia area and I guess did something MANUALLY to check if it’s incarcerated, which he said it wasn’t, at that TIME. I’m not sure how Kosher that was for him to even do, because the hernia hurt my mom for a few hours after that (which it never does) but THANKFULLY the pain went away. He does have many years experience as a primary dr., so I told myself that I shouldn’t worry about this.

Anyway, I would have to AGREE with u. I’m not a dr. and my instincts are to leave things be…
    QUESTION: so should my mom even go see the hernia surgeon AT ALL? My fear is that he will touch it and really make it hurt and then she’ll really NEED to have SURGERY?

Please forgive my cynicism here, but who knows…I mean, I don’t know if insisting on OPEN repair/LOCAL ANESTHESIA is something I can ask from a surgeon. Is that MUCH RISKIER than LAPAROSCOPIC that’s done with GEN. ANEST.?

I guess I’m just fearful that surgery would be bad for my mom, either the actual SURGERY itself or complications that would come after a “successful” surgery. Which is why I would push for LOCAL ANESTHESIA only, if surgery were to ever happen, but as I said, I am inclined to just let it be, as you have mentioned as long as it doesn’t bother her.

THANK YOU for listening.

• DrBrown

February 19, 2019 at 3:25 pm

Dear Alliej.
    If your mother is not having any trouble from the hernia, then I would not advise an operation.
    There is a slight chance for incarceration, but the risk is small.
    If she has a chronic cough or constipation then these problems should be treated as they can make the hernia worse.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD