News Feed Discussions 90% recovery after mesh hernia repair in 1 week

• drtowfigh

February 3, 2020 at 5:44 am

The risk of watchful waiting is grossly overestimated.

And no one uses the darn technique anymore. It was abandoned in the Western world at the turn of the prior century. It may still be used in very very poor countries.

• Good intentions

January 26, 2020 at 6:34 pm

I lamost hate to do this but I read further down that page and came to what seem like outright lies. Pasted them below. So I think that he is actually, ironically, increasing his liability by furthering these untruths. It’s a mess out there, in the mesh repair field. The NHS in the U.K. seems to be very firmly behind promoting mesh. It’s very bureaucratic system, from what I’ve read, I assume that the doctors have little freedom to choose what’s best for the patient.

Excerpt (incredible in today’s world, where it’s so easy to check facts, that somebody would say this):

“Are there any alternative treatment options and what are the risks involved?
    There are non mesh repair techniques but this involves using large amounts of sutur material and the recurrence rate is higher.

Prior to using mesh the majority of hernias were repaired using a darn technique and the incidence of recurrence was more than 30%. The use of mesh in hernia surgery has reduced the recurrence rate to less than 5% and in many cases, including our own cases, to less than 1%.

Although the risk of complications from not having any surgery is low, the NHS sees patients with bowel obstruction following inguinal hernias everyday.”

• Good intentions

January 26, 2020 at 6:25 pm

He has the sales pitch down to a T. Covering himself by disclosing the potential problems, saying the words, acknowledging the percentages, which look terrible, but seemingly oblivious to what the words actually mean. The best that a person might think is that he is really just ignorant of what “chronic pain” means to the patient. He doesn’t know that living with constant pain is not really “living”. He is a mesh mechanic, trained in how to make a sale. I would not call him a true physician.

Excerpt from the web page:

“What is the most effective treatment option for a hernia?
    Patients who have a hernia or who have been diagnosed by a hernia expert, I believe mesh is the most effective way of treating these patients. The use of mesh in hernia surgery has reduced the recurrence rate to less than 5% and in many cases, including our own cases, to less than 1%.

The incidence of chronic pain has to be documented and should be part of the consent process, but it is also very important to realise that if hernias are not repaired there is a risk of strangulation, peritonitis, bowel perforation and bowel resection. These complications are extremely serious and if such a complication as peritonitis were to occur, there is a mortality associated with this.

What are the benefits of using mesh in hernia surgery?
    The main benefit of using mesh is the recurrence rate. Before mesh was introduced almost a third of all hernias came back. The use of mesh in hernia surgery has reduced the recurrence rate to less than 1%.

What percentages of those who undergo surgery likely to develop complications from mesh?
    Undoubtedly, 10% of patients who undergo the operation with mesh can experience chronic pain in their groin – which, in the majority of cases can last up to a year. That has to be balanced with the fact that there is a risk of severe complications if you don’t have mesh repair.

The incidence of chronic pain after mesh repair has been reported to be between 10 and 15%.”