News Feed Discussions Airline Travel with Hernia’s – Precautions/Danger Level?

• Airline Travel with Hernia’s – Precautions/Danger Level?

Posted by Watchnwaitin on January 1, 2023 at 5:19 pm

I’ve seen info on how its not recommended to fly, especially long trips, when you have an ingural hernia or other hernia’s. Reason stated was that the hernia can become stragulated because of the air pressure.

Are there precautions that should be taken when flying with a hernia, like wearing a truss for example and how dangerous is it really when flying with a hernia as people seem to be doing so to get treated for them, some with quite long flights like to South Korea, Europe, and around the USA and Canada.

Wim replied 2 weeks, 4 days ago 7 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Wim

March 29, 2024 at 2:19 pm

I have made now several long haul flights without issues. But I do wear protective underwear, cost 50€ a piece. I lifted heavy luggage, but really lifting is not what is dangerous for your hernia. Coughing is much heavier for the hernia. Thinking of going to see dr Kang, but also afraid in case of complications abroad.

• Ketun

February 16, 2024 at 6:18 am

While wearing a truss might provide some support, it’s essential to seek guidance from a healthcare provider for personalized advice tailored to your specific situation. Many individuals do fly for treatment, even on long flights to destinations like South Korea or Europe. However, it’s essential to take precautions such as avoiding heavy lifting during and after flights to minimize any potential risks. Also, once your treatment is complete, why not treat yourself to some relaxation and fun at entertainment parks https://wealthofgeeks.com/best-amusement-parks-in-the-us/? It could be a great way to unwind and enjoy some well-deserved leisure time after your journey.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Ketun.
  • Javier

February 14, 2024 at 5:08 am

It’s understandable to have concerns about flying with hernias, especially considering the potential risks with air pressure.

• Wim

January 5, 2023 at 1:28 pm

What I read somewhere, flying is not much risk. The risk is when you get your luggage from the belt afterwards.

• Watchnwaitin

January 4, 2023 at 6:10 pm

Good to know, I guess its a very small risk and more likely with large hernias probably. Mine is small and when I was looking for a doctor one of the receptionists asked me if I could push it in and I was perplexed as it barely protudes out so I don’t think pushing anything in is even possible.

I am waiting for now as there’s not much pain and would like to be able to travel but was worried when I saw info saying not recommended to fly with a hernia on more than a short couple of hours trip.

• Alan

January 4, 2023 at 7:10 am

I did 14 hours to\from Korea with two direct hernias, only issue was swollen ankles. Being constipated probably puts more pressure on the hernias, I don’t think the pressure variance is great enough when they pressurise the cabin. I guess if it was large you could manipulate it back into your abdomen while reclined to reduce chances of strangulation?

• roger555

January 2, 2023 at 12:34 am

I just looked it up. The problem is there is less oxygen abive 8,000 feet. That is why oxygen masks drop if the cabin bevomes depressurized. I don’ t see how a depressurized cabin can cause hernia strangulation.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwi45qvAuaj8AhVWQ2AKHb6zAk8YABAAGgJ0bQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESbOD298G5D6QRyA2meGiu3jrBonAdUdPWXokDpjy-IQOrMBNjaC16RIO3hm2chESnL3IV9tesBLlzUO92BGc-UFzQY-0VyOqDhtOGkC4a0b1xpKgE3c0RXy_6hUNp5V-4UZNy_6BVZ-Av9FQOyw&sig=AOD64_1JiHsPfRd5VRSoqqMo5DGgJfQEug&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwig1KTAuaj8AhWwr1YBHfNbArUQ0Qx6BAgIEAE

The higher we go, the less oxygen there is available to breathe. This happens because air density decreases with altitude.

Thus, air molecules spread out more, decreasing their density and – with that – there is less oxygen available for each breath of air. All this makes it increasingly harder to breathe for us. At 18,000 feet, the amount of oxygen halves compared to what we normally have at sea level. As a matter of fact, going much higher than 8,000 feet without the help of modern technology can cause altitude sickness, also known as hypoxia. Hypoxia can lead to dizziness, headache, difficulty thinking, unconsciousness and eventually death.

Thankfully, modern jet airliners are engineering miracles. Apart from getting us across the world safely in a matter of hours, they also act as a flying pressure chamber, controlling the air entering and exiting the pressurized cabin. The aircraft’s cabin pressurization system helps create – alongside other technologies such as the air management systems – the necessary pressure that you and I would need to breathe comfortably during a flight that typically takes place at a cruising altitude of around 36,000 feet.

• sensei_305

January 5, 2023 at 3:31 pm

Wow, thats right Alan. I did 5 hours from Seattle back to Miami Post surgery.