News Feed Discussions Best Imaging

• Best Imaging

Posted by Momof4 on September 20, 2016 at 4:19 pm

I have read your article on imaging in hernia diagnosis and am worried about some upcoming imaging I am having to further evaluate my problem. It has been a year since my last surgery and I am getting worse, despite trying the suggestions made by Dr. Chen. We have ruled out some specific nerve problems with interventional radiology. I am scheduled for a CT andomen and pelvis, with contrast, I believe. In the article, you suggest oral contrast, not IV., is that correct? Does one show up better? Can CT be a good evaluation of mesh after AWR and multiple hernia repairs? One of the reasons given for CT over MRI, was that CT is easier for the surgeon to interpret the actual scan. I don’t have a problem with having a CT, just trying to get the best diagnosis. Any information is appreciated. Thank you for the informative article in hernia imaging. Very useful information for doctors and patients alike!

drtowfigh replied 7 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • drtowfigh

September 24, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Best Imaging

CT scan is best for abdominal wall imaging, but not as good for the pelvis and groin area.

Contrast study with oral contrast helps show Bowel vs muscle/mesh. The IV contrast helps show inflammation, infection. In some cases it may help show mesh vs muscle. It is not absolutely necessary.