News Feed Discussions Bi-Lateral Inguinal 3 months Ago

• Bi-Lateral Inguinal 3 months Ago

Posted by Unknown Member on June 1, 2020 at 1:21 pm

Hello !

I am a 43 year old male who had open bilateral inguinal surgery with mesh roughly 3 months ago. My recovery went fairly smoothly. I am active and worked my way up to coming close to pre surgery cardio and light cross training.

Last week, I was at Lowes and reached out to lift a bag of play sand for my kids’ sandbox somewhat akwardly and felt a strain on the right side near my hernia. I called my surgeon the next day because I had some dull pain that felt “different”. The office told me I should not worry unless I see a bulge which I do not.

The pain on the right side has gotten a bit worse and now it seems to have extended to the left side as well. I now feel like I did the first week or two after surgery and there is some accompanying numbness. There is no bulge and both sides look similar and look like they did after my suregry.

My question is: Do you think this automatically means the hernia(s) have reoccurred? Or is it possible that the pain I am experiencing is from the mesh and the muscles still healing 3 months out? I am going to see the surgeon later this week but I am hoping to get others’ opinion or thoughts.

Any input would be appreciated !

Unknown Member replied 3 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Unknown Member

Deleted User
    June 2, 2020 at 6:26 am

Thank you for the reply and the insight. I am embarrassed to say that I do not know the details about the type of surgery and mesh. I will share those details with everyone once I find them out. Also, the pain has decreased significantly today which is a good sign ! I am also in the middle of doing more research on this site. Thanks again !

• Good intentions

June 1, 2020 at 5:59 pm

p.s. could you give some details on the type of surgery (Lichtenstein, Onstep, etc) and the mesh that was used? There are many many possibilities and variations. It might offer some clues and also give advice for future patients.

• Good intentions

June 1, 2020 at 5:57 pm

Start browsing through the Topics on the site. Your problem is not uncommon, and the future is somewhat predictable. Your surgeon will examine you for a recurrence, he or she will very likely not find one and will report that everything is “as planned”. He/she will suggest taking NSAIDs like ibuprofen, acetaminophen, or naproxen.

Your best hope is that you just strained the new tissue around the mesh. It’s trying to shrink and you stretched it. It’s best for you if you don’t aggravate it more, you can’t power through it or work it out like a normal injury. More stretching and tearing will cause more tissue buildup and more shrinkage. It’s just waiting and hoping that it will settle down that seems to work best.

Start reading, the site is full of stories, but don’t get disheartened. About 85% of people with a mesh repair do okay.

Good luck.