News Feed Discussions Hernia Discussion Biologic mesh

• Biologic mesh

Posted by Steve on June 27, 2024 at 7:29 am

Hi,

I had a discussion if a surgeon that does Shouldice and was told that they achieve good results with biologic meshes as well. He said that within 1-2 years they dissolve and the collagen takes over.

Sometimes they even do Shouldice and the biologic mesh at the same time if you want to return to sports faster.

Has anyone have good/bad experiences with it, or is aware of people no being able to dissolve it?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you!

saro replied 3 weeks, 2 days ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • saro

August 5, 2024 at 1:27 am

I saw a video on YouTube that I can’t find now where a surgeon showed the results of two surgeries one year after the operation with a prosthesis, one after insertion with a biological prosthesis and the other with phasik: while the biological one was reabsorbed without traces, the phasik was still in place. I don’t have the video at the moment

• Steve

June 27, 2024 at 12:26 pm

Hi – thanks for the quick response!

Yes will do.

Do you have any view on biologic meshes too?

Regards

• Good intentions

June 27, 2024 at 1:16 pm

I’m not sure what you mean by “will do”. If you just talked to the surgeon do you not know their name?

Here’s a video about Ovitex biologic. It does not appear to be absorbed or decomposed or replaced by body collagen at all. It looks like it probably did when it was implanted, 1.5 years earlier. It peeled out pretty easily. You can clearly see the polypropylene reinforcement fibers on the surface.

https://youtu.be/85yvc9_lehE?feature=shared

• Good intentions

June 27, 2024 at 12:08 pm

That seems unlikely, combining mesh of any kind with a Shouldice-type repair. The only report I’ve seen of anybody doing something like that is from Dr. Grishkan’s practice. And he used a Gore mesh, PTFE based, not a biologic.

Can you supply the surgeon’s name?

Here is something about Dr. Grishkan’s method. The site has some bad information, like describing nylon mesh as a type of polypropylene.

https://herniasurgeries.com/hernia-surgery-technique-with-mesh/