News Feed Discussions Burning skin

• Burning skin

Posted by Unknown Member on December 4, 2019 at 1:58 pm

Hi, I had bilateral open surgery with mesh to repair two inguinal hernias two weeks ago. Feeling a lot more pain than one week. Burning pain below site. Legs feel numb sometimes. Is this too early to be concerned? Pain is close to skin. Thanks.

Good intentions replied 4 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Good intentions

December 22, 2019 at 6:48 pm

The type of material used and the procedure will offer more clues. I’m repeating myself but I am serious. The more you know about what was done the better the advice you get will be. The field of hernia repair is very chaotic, “open with mesh” does not tell very much.

Also, keeping track of when the pain is worst and best and what activities preceded these conditions could tell you something. It looks like it’s been a total of four weeks. Still early.

Good luck. [USER=”3086″]abrill[/USER]

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    December 22, 2019 at 5:57 pm

Nerve block ineffective. Now five weeks post op. Left scar swollen and hard as a rock. Right side better. Pain left side mostly. Need more time to heal? Dr. Said six weeks.

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    December 12, 2019 at 5:09 pm

Thanks Doctor for the good advice.

• DrBrown

December 12, 2019 at 3:20 pm

[USER=”3086″]abrill[/USER]
    Dear Abrill.
    A nerve block involves injecting a local anesthetic around the nerves. If the block is successful you will numb for about 8 hours. If during that time you feel significantly better then that would be strong evidence that the nerves are a component of your pain. A steroid injection around the nerve can provide long term relief. TENS can help. Capsaicin Cream can help.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD

Attachments:

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    December 12, 2019 at 10:36 am

Can someone describe what’s involved in a nerve block?Injection into sight, how long does it last etc? Thanks much.

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    December 9, 2019 at 11:37 pm

Thanks, will try to walk more and get better procedure info.

• Good intentions

December 9, 2019 at 8:44 pm

Are you getting any exercise at all? Walking or moving around the house? It helps to get the fluids moving at the repair site. I had situations where rest did nothing to alleviate pain but exercise did. It was counterintuitive.

Here is a recent Topic with similar problems.

https://www.herniatalk.com/14542-modified-shouldice-post-op-pain-and-walking-expectation

Could you describe the type of surgery that you had and the materials used? There is a surprising range of variation, even for open repairs. The Prolene Hernia (PHS) system, Onflex mesh for Onstep, plugs and patches, coated materials, etc. They all have their own issues.

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    December 9, 2019 at 7:34 pm

Hi, went back to surgeon and during a Brief examination, he said everything looks great and pain will go away on its own. It is now over 3 weeks and pain has not diminished at all. Burning stabbing pain at lower groin. Both sides. Went to primary doc and he gave me Gabapentin 600 to see if it alleviates nerve pain. This drug makes me nervous to take. Is this a good move? Getting desperate. Thanks.

• drtowfigh

December 7, 2019 at 12:24 am

Swelling from surgery can cause weird symptoms. Unless the pain is very clearly a severe debilitating zinging in the direction of a single nerve, then time may help heal. Anti-inflammatory measures include ice packs, naproxen and sometimes injections to help reduce the swelling.

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    December 6, 2019 at 3:24 pm

Thank you.

• DrBrown

December 6, 2019 at 5:16 am

Pain and burning after mesh hernia repair is often secondary to irritation of the nerves.
    Ask your surgeon to examine you. Nerve blocks are often very beneficial.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD