News Feed Discussions Cause of an inguinal hernia?

• Alephy

January 6, 2020 at 8:50 pm

Thanks for your answer! I fear the hernia is already there although the bulge is barely visible…btw the smaller the bulge the smaller the hernia or am I getting it wrong?

• Good intentions

January 6, 2020 at 8:25 pm

I am 99% certain that I forced a hernia upon myself by trying to play soccer through back pain. I found that I could avoid the back pain by using the Valsalva maneuver to tighten my core muscles. I’ve seen accounts from other people who reported getting a hernia just by twisting backward in their chair to pick up a dropped pencil. The weak area in the muscle wall is present in everyone, as I understand things, due to the nature of how the muscles come together. So, if things come together “right”, with high internal pressure and force on that weak area, the weal area can give way.

But, in your case, a strained or stretched area could cause pain, but maybe, hopefully, without the intestine contents being pushed through. You really don’t want to test the area by stressing git to see if it’s broken. Let it heal and get stronger if it can. Once the muscle wall is breached it won’t fix itself. Don’t try to push to see if there’s a problem. Do nothing and hope it strengthens and goes away.