News Feed Discussions Chronic Pain…kang repair…calling all kang patients

• pinto

May 15, 2023 at 9:57 pm

No not large. If I recall correctly, for my first hernia two surgeons independently measured it from my CT scan as 14cm, both saying medium. Kang does not appear to measure but he also said it was medium in size.

We both agree about Watchful being a genius but ya know even Einstein couldn’t get good grades at school. I’m sure Watchful would ace hernia school and it would be good to sit next to him for the answers, but sometimes a curveball comes and then what? W’s voiced concern is data. Sure we all want that. But as I have pointed out elsewhere almost no independent data for any surgeon.

As far as Dr. T’s view about Marcy, Kang, posting here at HT, while acknowledging Dr. T’s immense status, does not agree with the Marcy characterization. As I recall he said he developed his approach organically not piggy-backing on any particular approach. Of course he was originally a mesh doc, so he didn’t begin with non-mesh at zero. He grasped the problem and figured out a way to solve it. Could he have consulted non-mesh approaches? He likely did. He may have found his was unique enough to call it the Kang Repair. It is also likely that KR, though different, has some corresponding features with Marcy.

Here’s a question for you, something that apparently Dr. T has ignored: Why can’t her Marcy approach also be used with slim or small men? Why only women? Ask Dr. T.

• Unknown Member

May 15, 2023 at 9:00 pm

Pinto….thanks soooo much for your great input here…was your hernia large? Yes its tough to go against watchful…he is clearly the forum genius with no incentive other than to share knowledge and help people….and if he has concerns about the kang repair…we are bound to listen…at the same time kang must have fixed a lot of large hernias…given the sheer volume of repairs he has done….Dr Twofigh calls his repair a marcy like repair…which she only uses on petite women and children….so its a litte troubling —maybe the good dr kang will weigh in…

• pinto

May 15, 2023 at 8:30 pm

@Chuck, it seems you’re in deep torment about choice of surgeon. It is difficult I agree. I don’t agree with you punishing yourself about your previous mesh surgery. It must be true that thousands have the same operation but somehow escape into nirvana. I’m sure I would not end up well, for I never win lotteries and things like that. However in the case of my surgeon choice of Kang I lucked out. About this I don’t agree with Watchful though I applaud his great contributions here. Me, I’ve been in no pain 14 mos. out. You can go to Kang confidently. Painless according to my experiences. Recurrence chance greater? Who says? Their data is likely biased.

• Unknown Member

May 15, 2023 at 6:06 pm

Kang has performed close to 20000 surgeries…or at least his clinic has. He says he has never turned anyone away except one cancer patient i think —can he handle the really big hernias? Its sad that he is in Korea and claims to have issues with english because he truly appears to be the best surgeon in the world…if he could explain how he fixes large hernias without recurrance or pain that would be fantastic….;probably an impossible ask…and given that Dr Conze seems to be able to have more tools in the tool box…maybe he is the go to….

• Unknown Member

May 15, 2023 at 5:38 pm

our friend watchful suggests that the Kang repair may end up being more painful than a shouldice repair because it doesnt do as much to balance the tension…it would be nice to know what Dr Kang does to ensure that this is not a problem

Page 2 of 2