News Feed Discussions Complications from removal?

• Complications from removal?

Posted by ajm222 on February 3, 2021 at 6:07 am

I am scheduled to have removal in less than two weeks due to a couple years of on and off soreness, plus some off symptoms like tightness and pulling and a feeling like something is in my lower abdomen. I also have a number of other very mild symptoms on and off that I can’t be sure are related. These are mild to moderate symptoms and I do often worry that with removal I will be trading in one set of problems for another. But I have a good surgeon (Belyanksy), and currently no nerve pain (except for the soreness).

It seems like most people who have the tightness from mesh get some relief after removal. But is it possible additional scar tissue could create even worse problems? I guess my understanding is that the mesh tightness always stays about the same whereas natural scar tissue should lessen over time and feel more natural as the years pass.

Do people with tightness from mesh ever get relief over very long periods of time (say 3-5 years) without surgery to remove it?

Any other potential complications I should consider? I think I’ve considered them all and talked to a trillion people, but I keep getting scare right before surgery because of much of what I’ve read.

Also worried about recurrence after mesh is gone, but my original hernia was indirect and I was informed that the scar tissue likely will be able to hold things for a least a while.

Thanks

ajm222 replied 3 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • dh305

February 22, 2021 at 7:08 pm

I wouldn’t do it personally. Almost 2 years and I feel improvement. I’m going to keep seeing the progress I am making. A very invasive procedure with no guarantees. I wish you luck.

• DrBrown

February 18, 2021 at 2:23 pm

@ajm222
    Dear AJM.
    You are in good hands and you will have a great result.
    Keep us updated.
    Best wishes.
    Bill Brown MD

• Alex P

February 17, 2021 at 10:54 pm

Let us know how it goes.

• ajm222

February 7, 2021 at 12:35 pm

Thank you very much, @drbrown – just hoping my unusual symptoms improve without adding anything new. Any improvement at all would be great. I can handle a little residual issues if the foreign body type sensations go away. I don’t have nerve pain really, so hoping this doesn’t add any. Soreness on and off depending upon position and what I’m doing, and some tightness and fullness on my right side. Just feels off.

• DrBrown

February 7, 2021 at 11:36 am

@ajm222
    Dear AJM.
    Most patients feel significantly better after mesh removal. But it would be rare to get 100% relief. The more pain that you have before surgery increases your risk for having chronic pain after the operation. Be prepared to wait 6 months for a full recovery.
    Prepare your body for the operation. BMI needs to be normal. Stop smoking. Treat any medical problems your have (hypertension, Diabetes, etc).
    Best wishes.
    Bill Brown MD

• ajm222

February 3, 2021 at 7:23 pm

Also kind of curious about long-term complications not including recurrence. Like, could you get a removal and these up fine but then have some related complications years later from removal.

• ajm222

March 16, 2021 at 8:23 am

Thank you, Dr. Brown