News Feed Discussions CT Scan for Meshoma

• CT Scan for Meshoma

Posted by inguinalpete on January 27, 2020 at 10:00 am

Primary care MD has referred me for a CT scan with contrast to determine if the mesh has moved/folded/balled up. Are these scans useful for this purpose? I have heard the radiation may damage the mesh (polyester). Is this correct?

drtowfigh replied 4 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • drtowfigh

February 3, 2020 at 5:15 am

We’ve published on this multiple times and it’s also searchable on this forum.

And, no, imaging does not affect the mesh.

• inguinalpete

January 28, 2020 at 10:00 am

Thanks for the responses G.I., and Dr. Brown. I will rely on local MD’s for standard diagnostics such as ultrasounds, MRI’s, CT scans, but will likely consider visiting a national level expert in hernia repair / mesh removal for a more precise diagnosis. I’m in Utah and California is not too far away!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  inguinalpete.
  • DrBrown

January 27, 2020 at 1:16 pm

@inguinalpete
    Imaging does not see the mesh very often.
    It can be helpful to rule out other problems.
    the mesh can be injected with local anesthetic. If you feel better that is strong evidence that the mesh is the source of the trouble.
    In a skinny person, the mesh is often palpable.
    regards.
    Bill Brown MD

• Good intentions

January 27, 2020 at 11:58 am

The ability to Edit has disappeared so I will just create a new post here. Here is an in-depth article about x-rays and polymers. It would be possible to make the mesh visible to x-rays. But that would add cost. And make problems either visible, or show that the mesh is perfectly placed but still causes pain. Both are things that would make a medical device maker nervous, I would guess.

https://www.mddionline.com/radiopaque-polymer-formulations-medical-devices

• Good intentions

January 27, 2020 at 11:44 am

X-rays will not damage polymers. So that would be incorrect.

My surgeon made three tries to get imaging for me when I had my mesh problem. The insurance company had a chart of standard procedures for hernia repair but none for mesh-related pain. So he kept getting rejected because they did not have a charge code for what he wanted. His requests did not fit under “hernia repair”. He had to sit through a panel discussion to figure out what they would allow. The only allowed imaging in the end was MRI with no contrast. It was done and read by the imaging expert and nothing was found.

Dr. Towfigh has posted about the best imaging techniques, but also points out that the typical hospital expert is not trained in recognizing small hernias, or mesh-related problems. You might search for her past posts about imaging. So even with the imaging you’re getting, the expert will probably not see anything noteworthy. There are many people who have had imaging done for pain and nothing was found. One side-defect is that it gives everyone involved more reason to reject treatment. They took an image and nothing was seen.

@drtowfigh