News Feed Discussions Cutting away Obliques -Ventral Hernia

• Cutting away Obliques -Ventral Hernia

Posted by Steve Hamel on February 17, 2020 at 5:25 pm

Hi All, Thanks for the add. Wondering if anyone has had ventral hernia repair where they released (detached) the obliques? In January of 2019 I had an emergency splenectomy where they opened me from my sternum to just above the pubic bone. That recovery was not fun. In November 2019 I had an umbilical hernia repaired as a result of the original surgery. In early January 2020 I got a stomach bug , was vomiting and tore an 11 cm section of the incision in my abdominal rectus open, so now I get to have that repaired. The surgeon explained that in order to close the rectus properly at the midline, he will need to cut away my obliques, rendering them useless for life. Has anyone had any experience with this method? What was recovery like? What is life like without obliques? Prior to this I have lead an active lifestyle, training for and running obstacle course races and hope to get back to vigorous training after this recovery. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

Steve Hamel replied 4 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Steve Hamel

February 18, 2020 at 4:48 am

Thanks!Yes, before the surgery I have two more surgeons I am getting opinions from. I’m just trying to get some idea of what recovery/life is like after this type of procedure. Has anyone had any experience with this?

• Good intentions

February 17, 2020 at 6:12 pm

Have you had a second opinion? Dr. Towfigh just posted a comment about being able to “sew” laparoscopically using robotics. That seems like what you would need and I don’t think that robotic lap would require cutting away your obliques. I can’t imagine obliterating the obliques for anything but a life-saving effort. Seems like too much. @drtowfigh

If you read through the posts you’ll see the huge variation among surgeons and their methods. Despite the usage of words like standards, gold standards, and standard of care, the variation is incredible. Get some second and third opinions. Technology is advancing rapidly, in both good and bad ways.