News Feed Discussions Day 3 – post bilateral inguinal hernia surgery

• Day 3 – post bilateral inguinal hernia surgery

Posted by Justadude1973 on May 15, 2016 at 10:19 am

So here I am…6 in the morning..been up almost 3 hours. I’ve been averaging 3 hours of sleep a night! Day 3 after surgery and had 4 hours last night..improvement? I wish I had done my research before having the surgery because I honestly don’t think I would’ve gone through it. The surgeon did give me the option to just live with it as long as I could, but no…I wanted it done. The pain is so severe at times, it’s crazy! The surgeon gave me 7.5 Norco for pain..what a joke. I called into the answering service yesterday to the on-call surgeon and he called me back and just told me to double up on the pain meds until I can call the office on Monday. I have such a burning sensation on my left groin side and a pulling sensation on my right side. I’m trying to walk as much as possible but it seems to hurt the most after sitting for some time. Right now I’m at my kitchen table and I’m quite comfortable but I know I’ll have to get up soon and deal with the pain. Let’s not even go there with the constipation issues. What craziness that was/is! I just feel helpless…lost. I live alone and hate depending on people. I can’t get comfortable in bed. I went to sleep last night with the ice pack on…to say the least I woke up with everything still numb and went to get up…WOW! It took me 45 min to get out of the bed just to go pee. I know I’m rambling…maybe I’m bored…maybe I want someone to tell me I’ll be ok…maybe I just want someone to give me the answers to how long will this last? What suggestions do you have on sleeping, sitting, showering, etc..? I’m glad this group is here.. Thanks for reading.

drtowfigh replied 7 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • pszotek

May 15, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Day 3 – post bilateral inguinal hernia surgery

I would agree with Dr. Earle and Dr. Towfigh completely. In my experience my patients seem to do really well with 2 Aleve in the AM and Two in the evening if no contraindications. I also have my patients ice for 15 minutes every two hours which seems to bring down the inflammation. I would also recommend early follow up to make sure nothing is going on that needs to be addressed to relieve your pain.

• drtowfigh

May 15, 2016 at 1:31 pm

Anti-inflammatories work better than narcotics for pain after hernia repair. These include Aleve, Motrin, naproxen, ibuprofen. If no contraindications, these over the counter medications can be taken at double the recommended dose. They may irritate the stomach lining and cause stomach ulcers so make sure take it with food and also take an anti-ulcer medication such as Pepcid to protect the stomach.

Ice is another good anti inflammatory. So are some homeopathic supplements such as Arnica, Alpha Lipoic acid,, ginger, turmeric.

• DrEarle

May 15, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Justadude1973 – I’m sorry you’re having a tough time. This seems to be excessive pain based in your description, and an earlier follow visit is in order. Call your surgeon and ask to be seen tomorrow.