News Feed Discussions Developing bumps after lap. hernia surgery

• Developing bumps after lap. hernia surgery

Posted by seeker on November 3, 2016 at 7:22 pm

Can anyone offer advise on large marble size hard bumps developing over where hernia was and near belly incision site? I can feel them without having to touch them and they are uncomfortable. It has been suggested (just by my description) that they are seromas that will eventually dissolve. Are there other things they may be? And is there anything I can (or should not do) to help them dissolve? How long do they typically last – or us there not a typical resolution to these bumps? I had laparoscopic hernia repair with progrip mesh. If anyone has any experience with this situation I would be so grateful for your advise or stories.

Thank you,
    Sue

seeker replied 7 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • mela414

November 8, 2016 at 2:01 pm

Developing bumps after lap. hernia surgery

Hi sue
    Glad things are progressing well. I know the seroma a will take a while to subside and am glad they are not interfering. Are you still doing your walks? Good luck with exercising. Still no heavy lifting though.
    Mel

• seeker

November 7, 2016 at 11:43 pm

Thanks Beenthere,

It’s good to know they got absorbed finally. They make me feel like I have the hernia back and can be really uncomfortable and somewhat painful. So good to know you experienced them with no lingering issues. My surgeon confirmed they were seromas today. He said they were small ones.

Otherwise, I’m moving around well and have been given the go to begin exercising!

-Sue

• Beenthere

November 7, 2016 at 7:32 pm

Hope your recovery is going well. I had the bumps for a long time after the surgery, not sure on exact time. Finally I never noticed them(well after 8 weeks but did not interfere with any normal activity).

• seeker

November 6, 2016 at 12:56 am

Hi Mel,

Thanks for your posting.

Did your friends have laparoscopic surgery? Did they have seromas?

Surgery is traumatic for your body. 8 weeks sounds reasonable.

Sue

• mela414

November 5, 2016 at 6:26 pm

Not only is my seroma painful and tender but I have numbness on the skin. My belly button near the seroma is still healing and very tender. I feel like I have surface pain. If my T-shirt brushes against it I feel like a nerve pain.
    I’m sure the pain you are feeling is from the seroma and with time will resolve itself.
    I hope you are doing better overall and are continuing to heal.
    Coincidentally I spoke with 2 aquaintances yesterday who both had hernia surgeries. Both said they took about 8 weeks to heal. Hang in there.
    Mel

• drtowfigh

November 5, 2016 at 4:40 pm

Yes. Seromas and hematomas can cause pain pressure or mimic hernia symptoms. They typically resolve on their own.

• seeker

November 5, 2016 at 2:41 pm

Thank you for your reply Dr Towfigh. I have one more question. Can these seromas cause pain? I am feeling more discomfort and dull pain from this then I did the hernia.

• drtowfigh

November 5, 2016 at 2:39 am

This is usually normal (having not examined you). Massage it.

• mela414

November 3, 2016 at 10:12 pm

It sounds like a seroma. I have larger one near my belly button and it is uncomfortable and tender. It’s hard when I touch it and it sounds like you have the same thing. I was told they take time to go away. Your body needs to reabsorb it and could take months. My surgeon said these sometimes form at incision sites as a collection of fluids. If they are able to drain it then it relieves some pain but once they harden then your body has to reabsorb it.
    Hoping you are feeling better each day.
    Mel