News Feed Discussions Did I Screw Up and Cause the Mesh to Fail?

• Did I Screw Up and Cause the Mesh to Fail?

Posted by nycguy224 on December 28, 2019 at 4:51 am

Hello,

I had a surgery to repair my inguinal hernia a little less than 4 weeks ago. I’m in my late 20s and in very good health, and my primary concern was getting back to the gym. My doctor cleared me after two weeks to lift light weights, which I did, but after one of my workouts, I had a bloating feeling in my stomach that lasted for a few hours. There’s also still some swelling around the incision, both along the actual cut (so that it’s elevated from the rest of my skin) and in the general area around the incision.

I know I was probably stupid and overeager to get back to weightlifting, but I was wondering if 1) it’s too soon to tell whether I caused the mesh to fail, and 2) whether anyone had a recurrent hernia and could speak to their experience to compare to mine. I plan on seeing my doctor soon to check, but I am freaking out and wanted to see if anyone else had similar experiences.

For what it’s worth, there’s minimal pain in the area, no redness/bleeding, and no nausea/fever symptoms.

Thanks for anyone who responds.

nycguy224 replied 4 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • nycguy224

December 31, 2019 at 12:50 am
    quote drtowfigh:

Most likely you’re just fine.
    Sometimes patients may Strain the repair or even try to tear at it. but doesn’t mean it’s destroyed or there is a hernia recurrence.

Thank you! I went to an urgent care yesterday and they also said that it’s probably fine, but that there might be a swollen lymph node around the incision which is causing some of the swelling. Is this common, and is there anything to be concerned about?

• drtowfigh

December 30, 2019 at 3:59 am

Most likely you’re just fine.
    Sometimes patients may Strain the repair or even try to tear at it. but doesn’t mean it’s destroyed or there is a hernia recurrence.