News Feed Discussions Do I have a hiatus hernia

• Do I have a hiatus hernia

Posted by Marcus243 on November 5, 2015 at 8:40 pm

Hi all. When I lie down flat and raise my head as if to start sit-ups I notice a bulge. The bulge is above my naval about 5inches long and goes upwards towards my chest. When I touch the bulge is soft, but if I press deep under the bulge it is really painful. However when I stand up the bulge disappears. I only noticed it by chance the other day. I have had mild discomfort above my naval for many months. I have recently come back from Crete in October and got the worse vomiting bug of my life. I was constantly vomiting for 24 hours. The days following i had terrible stomach aches, back aches, chest aches and pain in my sides which I think was with the heaving from vomiting. When I’m moving around I will get stabbing stomach pains that come and go. I don’t know though if this is physiological since finding the suspect hernia. In the mirnings my stomach is very flat but as the day goes on im really bloated. Sorry for going on but does my symptoms point to an hernia?
    Thanks for reading

drtowfigh replied 8 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Marcus243

November 6, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Do I have a hiatus hernia

Thanks for your reply. You are spot on it is a distatisis of the retus muscle. Thanks again.

• drtowfigh

November 6, 2015 at 12:57 am

Do I have a hiatus hernia

most likely this is a diastasis of your rectus muscles. hernia also possible.
    If there is pain or discomfort, an evaluation by your primary physician should be helpful.