News Feed Discussions Does this sound like a hernia near belly button?

• Does this sound like a hernia near belly button?

Posted by kjm018 on August 5, 2019 at 4:32 pm

Hello. I hope this is an acceptable question to ask of this forum. I have a dr’s appointment in 2 1/2 weeks, but looking for some answers in the meantime.

I have an area about 1 inch to the right of my bellybutton that bulges out further then the other side. It isn’t very noticeable until i point it out. It is maybe about 2 inches wide. Here are some of my symptoms:

It does cause discomfort in my right side, especially when i bend forward I can feel the pressure on it.
    I can’t seem to push it back in
    It disappears when i lay down on my back
    When standing it is still noticeable when i flex my stomach muscles
    I originally went to dr for this pain a few months ago and ultrasound found gallstones, so i had my gallbladder removed. I noticed the lump more after surgery because they shaved my stomach area, which made it more noticeable.

Any suggestions to point me in the right direction would be very much appreciated. Thank you

DrBrown replied 4 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • DrBrown

August 22, 2019 at 5:30 pm

[USER=”2957″]kjm018[/USER]
    The ultrasound is a simple and safe procedure.
    It would be reasonable to have that done.
    Regards
    Bill Brown MD

• kjm018

August 22, 2019 at 3:14 pm

[USER=”2580″]DrBrown[/USER] [USER=”2029″]Good intentions[/USER] I saw my Dr yesterday and she didn’t suspect a hernia. She said she was able to grab it and it was not inside my abdominal wall (that was my main worry), so she thinks it’s most likely a lipoma. She advised she can send me for an ultrasound to confirm, if that’s what i’d like to do

• kjm018

August 11, 2019 at 10:57 pm

Thank you [USER=”2580″]DrBrown[/USER] . I appreciate the feedback and will have my Dr check it out next Wednesday. It is causing some discomfort, but I should be fine until then.

• DrBrown

August 8, 2019 at 8:07 pm

[USER=”2957″]kjm018[/USER]
    You could just have a lipoma.
    Do not worry and ask your doctor to check it for you.
    Regards
    Bill Brown MD

• kjm018

August 5, 2019 at 6:37 pm

This is the most similar picture i could find online regarding the location. However mine is maybe a 1/4th of the size and not nearly as noticeable. When i put my finger on either side of my bellybutton, the right side might stick out 1/2 inch further.

• kjm018

August 5, 2019 at 6:06 pm

Thank you [USER=”2029″]Good intentions[/USER]

Yes, i had discomfort that wasn’t relieved by removing gallbladder and it is not at the site of the incision. I’m pretty sure the swelling area has been there for about 4-5 months and I haven’t really noticed an increase in size.

Does it matter that the area isn’t in my belly button and it about an inch or so to the right of it?

• Good intentions

August 5, 2019 at 5:30 pm

It sounds like you’re saying that you had discomfort that was not resolved by the gall stone removal, and that you’re fairly certain that the lump was there before gall bladder surgery. Are you sure that the lump is not a scar from the entry point of the tools for gall bladder removal?

Here is a link that shows the approximate areas for certain types of hernias. Yours sounds kind of like a direct hernia. You will probably be recommended for immediate mesh implantation or exploratory surgery, maybe even if they’re not positive it’s a hernia. So read up on the many various hernia repair techniques before you see the doctor. Once you get in there things can happen quickly, and there might be talk of life-threatening strangulation of your intestines. Be prepared. Good luck.

https://www.epainassist.com/abdominal-pain/stomach/different-types-of-hernia