News Feed Discussions Hernia Discussion Doubts on Inguinal hernia

• Doubts on Inguinal hernia

Posted by V P KUMAR on May 6, 2024 at 8:44 pm

I am 74m and have a small bulge in my right groin. A doctor confirmed that it was inguinal hernia.

I am thinking of surgery.

The options I have are

1. Laparoscopic repair

2. Open surgery.

Both may require a mesh. I am not happy about a synthetic mesh also I don’t prefer general anaesthesia.

Can anyone advice me the best course of action.

Thanks

andrew replied 3 months, 1 week ago 6 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • andrew

May 22, 2024 at 4:21 am

Knowing what I know now, and having had a small right inguinal hernia, unless I had significant pain, I would wait “watchfully” as long as possible.

• ed

May 12, 2024 at 4:39 pm

seems to me from all the posts i have seen that, no matter how good the surgeon is etc. , there is always the chance that your system will reject the mesh and then you may have chronic pain etc. but i guess that is the chance you take with mesh.. i got phasix dissolvable mesh , so far i haven’t had any issues . 8 weeks after surgery.

• V P KUMAR

May 13, 2024 at 4:29 am

Thanks

• Mark H

May 10, 2024 at 5:42 am

I agree with @Good intentions that a mesh free repair by Dr Kang seems to be a good choice.

I had a bilateral repair around 7 months ago and like others, documented the experience here on this forum. One of the main reasons for going over to South Korea rather than have a mesh repair for free on the British NHS is that at my age (60yo at the time) I wanted the least invasive procedure. The less damage to surrounding tissue, the less I would need to heal. This can be seen in an image I took just 3 days after the procedure. (WARNING! Do NOT view before, during or shortly after lunch!).

I was walking around (albeit taking my time) the day after my treatment and improved noticeably day by day. By the time I got back home to the UK I considered myself almost back to normal. Seven months on, the inch long scars are fading fast.

Good health,

Mark H.

• Sam

May 8, 2024 at 12:59 pm

Laparoscopic is only done with mesh, you will need open for no mesh. If you contact surgeons in your local area, just ask if they do open no-mesh. My local surgeon offered it, although I chose to go with laparoscopic. Find out all you can about the years of experience the surgeon has doing that type of surgery.

• V P KUMAR

May 7, 2024 at 7:55 pm

Thank you.

• V P KUMAR

May 10, 2024 at 10:17 pm

Fantastic post. So detailed and clear. I would like to know that why did they decide on open surgery and without mesh. Was it your choice. Some people are not fit for general anaesthesia so they recommend open surgery. Is no mesh repair better than with mesh. Any chance of recurrence.

I am to undergo hernia repair soon. I do not like the idea of mesh, but then will I have a choice. I am in India and can’t afford to go to s.korea for my surgery. Ofcourse India does have world class medical facilities.

• Good intentions

May 7, 2024 at 12:06 pm

The Gibbeum Hospital with Dr. Kang seems to meet your desires. Mainstream hernia repiar today is mesh implantation under general anesthesia. Many different types of mesh possible but the basics are the same for the majority of patients.

http://gibbeum.com/