News Feed Discussions Hernia Discussion Dr, Towfigh can I come see you? Bel is great

• Dr, Towfigh can I come see you? Bel is great

Posted by Ken on December 15, 2023 at 12:35 am

Dr towfigh thanks for your participation here. And thanks for your marvelous assistant Bel who has been most helpful. I would like to come and see you for a consult but I am frustrated by the mixed messages you send. In one of your recent videos you state that Direct hernias are poor candidates for tissue repair like shouldice because of thin and weak tissue. You state that there is a high likelihood of recurrance if shouldice was used. You make a very clear statement to this effect. You say mesh is more appropriate for this repair. I understand there are outliers and you cant commit to a repair type without seeing the patient. Totally get that. But for a medium sized direct hernia would your recommendation almost certainly be a mesh repair? Its very difficult for us patients – in many cases who are far afield from your location to travel all around the country to find doctors. So if you can say that you would very likely recommend mesh for a direct hernia in the absence of special circumstances that would help a lot!!! Thank you for helping out here. I don’t want lap surgery the general anesthesia, the catheters, placing mesh near major organs. Some say lichtenstein is safer anyway. Do you perform a lot of lichtenstein repairs? I ask because I understand Dr chen across town does a ton of these. I would still come and see you but in another video you recommend getting your opinion on a repair then seeing the best dr for that repair many say that would be Dr Chen but I like your video professing a womans touch. I very much appreciate what you do for patients. But any clarity on this issue would be appreciated. For the record I spoke with Dr. Grishkan who does phone consults and he says a Shouldice is better for direct. I am lost.

Good intentions replied 4 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • drtowfigh

December 15, 2023 at 2:01 pm

I’ll repeat what I said in the last post and prior posts:

Direct hernias do better with mesh than non mesh. But that doesn’t mean you can’t or shouldn’t have a tissue repair for a direct hernia. Every situation is different.

That’s why you should pick your surgeon and follow their personalized advice.

• Ken

December 15, 2023 at 12:42 am

And Dr, Yunis recommends Shouldice for large direct hernia. Can you reconcile why he says something different than you do?