News Feed Discussions Duration of Mesh inflammation

• Duration of Mesh inflammation

Posted by Alephy on May 28, 2021 at 7:00 am

I am just wondering, how long does the inflammation process caused by the mesh implant last? months? years? for ever?

I am not talking about chronic pain (although the two are probably correlated), but the body reaction to it, whether one has symptoms or not…

Good intentions replied 2 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Good intentions

May 29, 2021 at 11:18 am

Forever seems to be the answer. The research in to the absorbable/resorbable biologic materials is done in the hope that the FBR will destroy/replace the foreign biologic material and replace it with human tissue that is strong enough to function properly.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00423-011-0780-0

“Abstract
    Mesh biocompatibility is basically determined by the foreign body reaction (FBR). In contrast to physiological wound healing and scar formation, the FBR at the host-tissue/biomaterial interface is present for the lifetime of the medical device. The cellular interactions at the mesh/tissue interface proceed over time ending up in a chronic inflammatory process. ”

• JamesDoncaster

May 28, 2021 at 11:47 pm

I think another way to phrase your question would be: at what point does your body stop “fighting” the foreign body that has been placed inside of it and just “accept” it? My guess is the answer is: never. If your body recognizes something as foreign when it is first placed inside of you, what physiological change would, at some point, convince your body to accept it?