News Feed Discussions Epigastric hernia becoming painful

• Epigastric hernia becoming painful

Posted by Unknown Member on April 4, 2016 at 6:08 pm

Hi, I’ve had an epigastric hernia in the centre of my abdomen for the past 6 years. I’m 29 years of age, and until the past few months I experienced very little pain at the site of the hernia and was advised to take the “watchful waiting” approach to surgery. But the pain is increasing in frequency and I feel it is now time to have it repaired.

My question is, the hernia only measures 5.4 mm (based on an ultrasound scan), and was shown not to contain any bowel or intestine, just fatty tissue (omentum). Can such a hernia still pose the risk of strangulation?

Many thanks for any help or advice.

sngoldstein replied 8 years ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Unknown Member

Deleted User
    April 5, 2016 at 10:08 pm

Epigastric hernia becoming painful

Thank you both for your kind words of advice; it is much appreciated

• sngoldstein

April 5, 2016 at 1:00 pm

I agree with Dr. Towfigh. It would be very unlikely for intestine to get into a hernia that small. If it is bothering you, though, you should consider repair. It will only get worse with time and it should be a relatively simple fix now.

• drtowfigh

April 5, 2016 at 4:25 am

I recommend hernia repair based on symptoms, not based on size.

Hernias that are symptomatic or are increasing in size are the best indication for repair. The goal is to improve quality of life.

Strangulation of hernias are generally rare. All sizes are at risk,, but that number is very very very low.