News Feed Discussions Femoral Hernia?

• Femoral Hernia?

Posted by Cheshire54 on July 5, 2016 at 8:41 pm

Hi, I am a 62 yr old woman and I have been having episodes of severe groin pain on the left side radiating down my left leg to the knee. Sometimes the pain radiates on the left side of my lower back to my waist. I have had these episodes on and off mostly lasting only about 90 minutes. I have chalked it up to gas pains in the past. Last week I had an attack and wound up in the ER in severe pain, BP high, nausea. They did a CT scan with and without contrast and nothing showed up except a cyst on my pancreas. (I will be having 2 MRI’s done in a few weeks for this). My main question is; is there a better way to see and/or diagnose a femoral hernia? If it is, in fact, a hernia would the pain come and go? This last episode the pain lasted 7 hours and then went away. Right now I am having spasms in my lower back, waist level, that seems to be warning me to take it easy. Not sure if this has to do with anything. Oh and for the past 4 months I have been having pain in my groin, both sides, when I am laying I my side with one leg on top of the other I cannot lift the top leg without having that pain. I also get that same pain in the groin when getting in and out of the car. I don’t know what to ask of my doctor but I fear the next attack coming. Please help.

rosesnrubies replied 7 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • drtowfigh

August 7, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Femoral Hernia?

Unfortunately, this is a problem with no good solution yet. We have shown in our studies that more than 3 of 4 imaging for hernias are misread or misinterpreted for hernias.

You can seek a consultation from a radiologist to re-review your images. I suggest you go to a center that has radiologists with expertise and training in MRI and hernias (e.g., a university that has a hernia center)

I also offer online consultation for the same, to re-review images in a clinical context and help analyze imaging in the context of each patient’s clinical symptoms. You can seek that consultation online via http://www.beverlyhillsherniacenter.com

• rosesnrubies

August 2, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Femoral Hernia?

Sorry to resurrect an older topic, but I had this question on my mind with regards to imaging in general.

I had an MRI, a CT, and two ultrasounds all of which the given radiologist deemed ‘normal, no defects’ essentially. Is there a means for the patient to request either a re-review with attention to groin hernia possibility, or is there someone that could be requested that has more expertise in diagnosing hernias from imaging that isn’t the garden-variety radiologist?

I understand that radiology is very complex, every body is different – and radiologists are well educated to recognize a multitude of abnormalities. But I guess I am wondering if there is a specific professional that has the expertise to look just for hernia indicators in that same imaging.

• drtowfigh

July 6, 2016 at 2:20 am

Femoral Hernia?

Hernias typically present with intermittent painn

• Cheshire54

July 6, 2016 at 2:12 am

Femoral Hernia?

Thank you so much for your quick response. If I truly have a hernia would the pain have gone away for the time being?

• drtowfigh

July 6, 2016 at 2:04 am

Femoral Hernia?

CT should show a hernia that is so symptomatic. Dynamic hernia ultrasound and MRI pelvis are better and more likely to show the hernia.

Remember that all images are interpreted by a radiologist. Just because the image is normal does not mean you don’t have a hernia. It just means that radiologist interpreted it that way. Hernias are notoriously missed or undervalued on imaging.