News Feed Discussions First Post

• First Post

Posted by kaspa on May 5, 2019 at 11:44 am

Hi. I’m new here.

I’m 51 and had my inguinal right hernia since less than 3 months ago. Something I thought it could never happen to me.

It’s a a frustrating experience as there’s nothing you can do except surgery.

Perhaps something interesting happened before hernia disclosed and I couldn’t associate with that until then.

I use my mobile in trousers right pocket with vibration.

About perhaps an year before hernia sometimes I felt the mobile vibrating, especially when driving, but when I checked it there was no call…

Also, some 3 months before I had an intermittent and intense pain around my right hip that changed with hip movements but I couldn’t relate it with any particular hip position. It lasted perhaps some 3 days and then vanished. I was happy for that until when hernia showed up and I could understand what originated that pain.

My option is a Desarda repair. I’d like to have it done by Dr. Desarda of course. But he charges a lot of money and only operates in India, and I wouldn’t like to have surgery there.

So I’ll try to have it done in Europe. USA or Canada are too far away for that. Unfortunately there are few surgeons using Desarda repair.

A good alternative would be Kugel mesh, as it only incises skin minimally, no muscle incisions of spermatic cord handling but there were quite serious side ettects in the past and I’m not sure it’s safe now.

I hope I can share some info here. It’s very good that we have Dr. Towfigh here and she’s very active participating.

kaspa replied 4 years, 12 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • kaspa

May 12, 2019 at 8:39 am

Dr. Towfigh I think so. I was even planing my trip to Cottbus in late July.

Problem was after reading about Baris experience. That made me a lot apprehensive.

• drtowfigh

May 12, 2019 at 2:39 am

I suggest you follow Dr Koch’s suggestion for your particular situation. He’s a gifted and knowledgeable surgeon. You will be in great hands.

• kaspa

May 8, 2019 at 8:04 pm

I appreciate the comments.

I understand Desarda and Kugel are two extremes. What I like in Kugel is minimal incisions, non dissection of spermatic cord and using preperitoneal space to obliterate hernia. Anyway, there were quite serious complications with that mesh, so I wouldn’t take it.

The center in Munich is new to me, so I’ll explore it better.

Dr. Andreas Koch is the best known non-mesh surgeon in Europe and he trained with Prof. Desarda in India and Shouldice Clinic in Canada. He’ll be perhaps my choice.

From Dr. Koch’s poster “The Role of Pure Tissue Repairs in a tailored Concept for Inguinal Hernia Repair”,covering 2006-2013, it seems clear that he prefers tissue repair for small hernias (<1.5cm in EHS classification). Otherwise he prefers mesh, especially for hernias >3cm. Also, from statistics shown, he prefers Shouldice in 2/3 cases against Desarda in 1/3 (no criteria disclosed) for non-mesh repairs.

As there are some surgeons here, I’d like to ask if there’s any way to know hernia’s defect size out of operating room (I guess not…).

• drtowfigh

May 7, 2019 at 3:14 am

I suggest you pick a surgeon you trust and seek their consultation. Desarda and Kugel repairs are at two extremes of hernia repair options. It doesn’t make sense to choose between those two.

Fortunately, Europe has great surgeons.

• Good intentions

May 7, 2019 at 12:36 am
    quote kaspa:

So I’ll try to have it done in Europe. USA or Canada are too far away for that.

The Hernia Centre in Germany has much experience with hernia repair. They work on top level athletes, who generally avoid mesh if at all possible. If I was in Europe it would be my first place to visit. I won’t be surprised if I end up there in later years anyway. I still have a piece of mesh in me and both groins are still adjusting to the damage done.

https://www.hernia-centre.com/

• Good intentions

May 7, 2019 at 12:32 am
    quote kaspa:

Hi. I’m new here.

I’m 51 and had my inguinal right hernia since less than 3 months ago. Something I thought it could never happen to me.

My option is a Desarda repair. I’d like to have it done by Dr. Desarda of course. But he charges a lot of money and only operates in India, and I wouldn’t like to have surgery there.

So I’ll try to have it done in Europe. USA or Canada are too far away for that. Unfortunately there are few surgeons using Desarda repair.

A good alternative would be Kugel mesh, as it only incises skin minimally, no muscle incisions of spermatic cord handling but there were quite serious side ettects in the past and I’m not sure it’s safe now.
    .[/I]

Hello kaspa. Try hard not conflate the methods with the materials. At this point in time there is little evidence than any mesh is any different from any other. The only fairly strong opinion you might see is that some doctors recommend against the plug.

I think that your first decision is mesh or no mesh. Then the type of repair. “Kugel” mesh is a Bard trade name, for a mesh that has a ring of of more sold material around its perimeter, to stop the mesh from folding, in principle, or to let it spring open to the desired flat shape after pushing through the incison. But, many people have mesh problems with mesh that is perfectly fine, no folds or creases. I had two pieces of Bard Soft Mesh implanted and one had a fold and the other didn’t. But they both were inflamed and surrounded by edema (fluids) when they were removed.

The Kugel method is a method to implant mesh, and the Kugel mesh is a mesh design meant to work well with the Kugel method. But, in the end, you still have mesh in your abdomen. That is the key. It’s just another polypropylene mesh in the end.

https://akinglobal.com.tr/uploads/subdir-182-4/BARD_catalogue.pdf