News Feed Discussions Hernia Discussion Forum software problems

• Forum software problems

Posted by Good intentions on November 15, 2023 at 6:11 pm

I thought it might be a better idea to gather problems here in a single thread, now that the Discussion creation function is working. Thank you for solving that problem.

Hello @dev @Carmen_Calvo I just replied to a different thread and the software placed my reply in the middle of the thread but this time the dates are not consecutive at all. My November 2023 reply was placed in between two May 2021 posts. It makes no sense.

Also, I tried to Comment to my other News Feed about this problem but the software dumped me out again after a few seconds of typing. So I decided to create a Discussion instead.

Here is a link to the Discussion. You’ll find my reply right after Mark’s May 2021 reply. Unless the problem is only on my end.

https://herniatalk.com/forums/topic/dr-js-own-hernia/

drtowfigh replied 4 months, 3 weeks ago 4 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • drtowfigh

December 9, 2023 at 8:56 pm

Thanks. We are continuing to make improvements. The site has certain options that can be turned on and off. Plus our team is meeting regularly to make sure we catch glitches, etc of this new forum.

• Good intentions

November 20, 2023 at 2:41 pm

Edit – it didn’t work. This post should be at the end of the thread, but it is here instead, buried.

Edit 2 – I checked the date on each thread and made a list.

11/15

11/20

11/20

11/18

11/18

11/16

11/16

11/16

11/17

Hello again. I am experimenting with the way I post to see if it has an effect. In this post I scrolled all the way to the bottom of the thread, placed my cursor in the bottom post, and clicked the red Reply button on the upper right. This window opened and I am typing in it.

I also clicked on the “Learn WordPress” link in the menu to the upper left and did a search on their Support page. It appears the sorting problem is not uncommon. Maybe there is an answer there.

@dev @Carmen_Calvo

https://wordpress.org/search/sorting+posts/

• Good intentions

November 20, 2023 at 2:15 pm

Hello @dev @Carmen_Calvo

I hope that you are still researching how to make the forum work as a forum should. As it sits now, the Discussion page is essentially unreadable. There is no sense to the order of new posts, They’re not backward or alphabetical. They’re just randomly sprinkled through the other posts.

If you could fix that problem first that would be huge. There is no way to have something resembling a conversation now, unless the forum member only uses the News Feed like they would a Twitter feed. Except that the Twitter feed would have every members posts combined on one page. And there is no way to “Retweet”.

Good luck. As many have pointed out there must be a solution. There are probably forum members who know how to get it done also. I assume that the software is WordPress software? If one of us took the time to learn WordPress, could we offer suggestions?

If the status quo is acceptable please let us know that also. Does the original goal of the forum still apply? It’s hard to understand what is going on.

Thanks.

https://herniatalk.com/about-herniatalk/

• MarkT

November 18, 2023 at 3:41 pm

Honestly, not loving the new format so far, but I understand there will be challenges and an adjustment period with any change and that everyone is working hard to work out the wrinkles which is certainly appreciated.

– On the feed, the response box has suddenly closed for me in the middle of typing a comment four times today. At first I thought it was a short-cut key issue, but then I was pretty careful typing one response and it still happened.

– I’m sure everyone has seen that the drug-ad spammers are back…yesterday, there were at least a half-dozen in a row clogging up the news feed. I’m not sure if that can be dealt with during the registration or posting process with something like a reCAPTCHA-type authentication? Perhaps the worst-case might be implementing a restriction whereby new members have ‘read-only’ access and can’t post anything until a moderator approves their account, but I imagine that an active moderation solution is not ideal and that something automated would be preferable.

• Good intentions

November 18, 2023 at 10:38 am

@dev @Carmen_Calvo

Hello. Dr. Towfigh posted on her pinned News Feed post that the News Feed would auto-populate from the Discussions page. I find that it only shows my own posts, not those of other members. So, in order to see new stuff from other members, I still have to sign in, then click Discussions and go to the Discussions page, to see new replies.

Also, I am still unable to Comment to a post on the News Feed page. I tried to comment to Dr. Towfigh’s post but got kicked out after a few seconds. Just long enough to type about 50 words then have them get disappeared. Kind of exasperating.

I guess, big picture wise, there is still hope. There are thousands of forums out on the internet, and different types of forum software out there, that manage to exclude the trolls and execute a certain useful discussion format. Here is an example.

https://www.f150forum.com/f12/

Good luck, and thank you!

• Good intentions

November 16, 2023 at 7:48 pm

Hello again @dev

Unfortunately the problem seems to be back. You can see my November 16 reply above my November 15 reply. Edit – along with this post above both of them.

I have also found that I cannot post a reply with a link in it. I assume that the link is the problem, the error message does not specify. Here is an image.

Sorry to be such a bother. The discussion page is almost back to normal, just not quite there yet.

• Good intentions

November 16, 2023 at 7:40 pm

Thank you @dev for all of the hard work on fixing the bugs. This is a quick test of my ability to reply. I replied to a different thread and got an error message.

• Good intentions

November 15, 2023 at 6:13 pm

Here is an image showing May bracketing November.

• dev

Administrator
      November 16, 2023 at 1:53 pm

Hello,

This issue has been resolved and we have sorted all replies decending allowing users to see the latest reply first.

Thank you,

HT Dev.

• Good intentions

November 17, 2023 at 3:28 pm

Hi dev. I think I @’ed you already but just want to be sure. The ordering problem is still there.

Good luck, keep going.

Thanks.

@dev

• Good intentions

November 30, 2023 at 10:29 am

Can’t see any updates on the main page unless I sign in. Any non-member who finds the site will just see a spinning wheel.

Replying specifically to the last post on the list so that this post will be easy to find.

Good luck.

• Good intentions

December 4, 2023 at 9:24 am

@drtowfigh @dev @Carmen_Calvo

Could one of you comment on what the future plans are for the HerniaTalk forum? At this point it is impossible to look back at any specific member’s posts because the Timeline function brings up random posts of other members instead. Any reply to a Discussion gets placed randomly in the middle of the thread, garbling the flow of the Discussion. Nobody can see Updates or Discussions unless they sign in. The site has very little value to anyone who does not create an account and sign in on a regular basis.

I understand that getting these types of web sites working correctly is difficult and it can take time and effort. My question is – will more time and effort be spent to get the forum working correctly? Or is it considered to be “done” now?

If a decision has been made to just “cancel” the forum that would be understandable, but this seems like an odd way to do it. Although it has great value to patients looking for information about hernias and repair methods, it’s definitely not good for the business of hernia repair. I have to imagine that Dr. Towfigh gets constant push-back from industry representatives and fellow surgeons to just let the forum die. Go back to the darkness, stop letting people shine light on the problems, despite the supposed push for “informed consent”.

I hope that this chaos on the forum is just temporary and that there really is a plan for a properly functioning and informative discussion forum. At this point there is still a lot of work ahead. Thanks for the years of good informed discussion so far, since the forum’s inception, whatever your future plans are. Many people have been helped by information from the old forum.