News Feed Discussions Future prostate cancer surgery

• Future prostate cancer surgery

Posted by Scott on March 21, 2020 at 5:07 pm

In case prostate cancer surgery is a possibility
    In the future and you were to have mesh inserted
    For inguinal repair where should the mesh be placed and should you have open repair rather than
    Laproscopic, I hope one of the doctors
    Monitoring sight could chime in for an answer
    Also would it interfere with a desarda or shouldice repair prostate surgery

DrBrown replied 3 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • DrBrown

March 31, 2020 at 10:20 am

Dear Scott.
    I would advise you to start with a pure tissue repair.
    There is a small chance that it would fail. If it does a second pure tissue repair can be performed.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD

• Scott

March 26, 2020 at 6:36 pm

dr Brown, what happens if you have Crohn’s disease get a tissue repair and it fails
    To hold, what would be the next step to repair hernia
    Can you get multiple tissue repairs or would it then be necessary to get mesh

• DrBrown

March 25, 2020 at 7:37 pm

With Crohn’s disease I would advise against a mesh repair because of the increased risk for infection and autoimmune problems.
    If you will need prostate surgery, then avoid laparoscopic hernia repair because the mesh can make it more difficult.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD

• Alephy

March 22, 2020 at 9:11 am

This is an excellent question: I guess if shouldice fails one can only use another technique or mesh?

• Scott

March 22, 2020 at 9:04 am

I believe in my case I have a higher chance of reoccurrence do to having Crohn’s disease and enlarged prostate
    The reason in my mind my thinking is if I go with shouldice technique and it fails, all that suturing and cutting of cremaster muscle would be for nothing, can you do a shouldice technique on someone again if it fails the first time
    Another words a repeat shouldice technique

• Scott

March 22, 2020 at 8:49 am

Thanx for your reply, this might be a silly question but can you tell me which type
    Mesh repair using open technique would cause the least amount of urological problems
    For prostate issues
    Thanx

• Good intentions

March 21, 2020 at 7:43 pm

Hello Scott. @tigerpawn

I was referred to a urologist when I was having mesh problems and he made a comment about how they had to cut through the mesh to do prostate surgery, sometimes. He made it sound like mesh made his job more difficult. I would see or talk to a urologist to get their opinions.

As far as choosing a repair procedure, I say this often, but if a suture repair fails you can always get mesh afterward. The odds of problems from mesh are higher, I think, and much more difficult to deal with.

I don’t think the Shouldice or Desarda are deep enough to interfere with prostate surgery, since they are focused on the groin area alone. Laparoscopic mesh implants today though, are much larger than the actual hernia defect. They try to cover as much area, all the way to the midline, as they can. They can get in the way,as my urologist said. But an open mesh repair might not, depending on what type it was, onlay, or Lichtenstein, or Kugel, or pre-peritoneal, or Onstep, or PHS. There are many many types of mesh repair. You really have to distinguish between them, you can’t group them all together as “mesh”. Especially for your question.

Good luck.