News Feed Discussions General Surgeon Said No Inguinal Hernia— Do I Get Second Opinion

• General Surgeon Said No Inguinal Hernia— Do I Get Second Opinion

Posted by Shell123 on August 5, 2018 at 6:08 am

It all started with a pain and small lump up above pelvic area on right side. Doctor thought it was a UTI infection and gave me medicine for the pain ache. My pain did go away but not this small lump area. Now the small —small lump could have been here for a long time but gone unnoticed until pain. I ended up going in to see my gynecologist and she had me stand up to look at the small lump on my right side. It’s barley noticeable unless you really look at a certain angle. No pain- just a lump. She said it looked like a inguinal hernia and sent me to a General Surgeon. The General Surgeon had me lay down and strain and then standup and strain & felt area. She looked at my left side and said it had a little raised area too but not as raised as my right side. She concluded that it wasn’t a inguinal hernia but probably fat. I’m a pretty thin person but thought it could be from having 2 kids and fat settled there. When she pushed on it etc. it didn’t hurt. You can’t push it down to make it disappear etc. the General surgeon told me that I was good to go home and not to worry about it because it isn’t a inguinal hernia.

My my question is should I get a second opinion? Could she be wrong or instead of a inguinal hernia…could it be a femoral hernia? The General surgeon does a lot of different surgeries. She does hernia repairs too. Surly if she thought it was a hernia at all (not just a inguinal) she would have mention it. Should I just not worry about it?

Sorry so long! Thank you for your help!!

Shell123 replied 5 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Shell123

August 7, 2018 at 1:47 pm

Chaunce1234 thank you for your reply! I did have an ultrasound. They made me lay down and stand up (no movement involved). The ultrasound tech said she didn’t see any fluid etc. but that their machines can’t always detect a hernia.

So I guess I’ll just let it be. I don’t have any symptoms other then the very small lump are. No pain etc.

• Chaunce1234

August 7, 2018 at 1:01 am

If you have no pain, no other bothersome symptoms, and a surgeon said you have no hernia, then you probably should just not worry about it. Of course it’s possible it is one that is just hard to detect, which is the so-called “occult hernia” situation but usually those are only relevant if you have significant pain with no obvious diagnosis.

If you are concerned, or curious, you could always request an ultrasound with valsava on the location of concern, it is pretty accurate to confirm a hernia diagnosis.