News Feed Discussions Genital position long after surgery

• Genital position long after surgery

Posted by ajm222 on October 16, 2019 at 6:13 pm

It’s been a while, but several months ago I noticed that when sitting, and sometimes when standing, that my penis hangs way off to the left now when it didn’t before. I had a right inguinal mesh repair done robotically almost 2 years ago. I also noticed that the right testicle seems to sit up higher, while the left sits lower and underneath the penis, almost as if everything has been pushed toward the left, just falling greatly to that side. I spoke with Dr. Belyanksy about it and he didn’t say much except that perhaps the spermatic cord or something may have been pulled a bit while the repair was done. But that was all he said. I did have a vasectomy as well years ago but didn’t have these issues until after the hernia repair. I feel as if my surgeon mangled me a bit. Everything works as it should, but of course I do have lingering soreness still off and on as well as other issues I’ve mentioned (tightness, strange discomfort in lower flank and hip, etc). Wondering if this could be corrected if I end up having mesh removal, which I am considering. Dr. B. didn’t think it would be impacted at all, either way, though.

Any other reasons for this? I never really see this mentioned anywhere.

Unknown Member replied 4 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Unknown Member

Deleted User
    October 23, 2019 at 6:07 am

Man, I think I’m having this issue with scar tissue effecting my testicles…I had mesh removal on left side with laproscoptic repair with progrip during the surgery..at first my testicles were hanging nice and low then they started to high rise…now my pelvic floor is supertight..my testicles are constantly high riding and they even get sucked into the body when I’m trying to have a bowel movement and it creates so much pressure….my groin seems so puffed up instead of being flat like it should and the cords seems to close to the miiddle of the groin….my genitals are supernumb and I think it’s from these cords being compromised..when I pull my groin to the sides it helps open something up…what the hell do I do now…its effecting my back. And hips..constipation and just sensation to go is bad…always get pelvic spasms…my walking is being effecting … like how is my right side being pulled to the middle..is it this scartissue and mesh ?

• ajm222

October 21, 2019 at 12:36 pm
    quote drtowfigh:

Scar tissue from the hernia repair can cause a rise in the level of the testicle. Mesh removal is not necessary not recommended. In extreme situations (yours does not sound like one), release of the scar tissue can help lower the testicle to a more normal position.

Penile positioning should not be related to any hernia repair.

Thanks, Dr. Towfigh. The consideration to have the mesh removed is unrelated to the position issue. I’ve had regular pain and tightness and discomfort for most of the last 21 months or so. Dr. Belyanski (who I have seen twice now) agreed to do a removal if I wished, because of the regular nociceptive pain and foreign body sensation I seem to be having. It makes sense what you’re saying about the scar tissue because the right testicle is definitely higher now than left and perhaps that’s the only thing pushing everything else off to the side. I guess that means it’s unlikely to resolve any positional issues if the mesh is removed then. Which is fine. Everything works as it should.

Just spending some time weighing risks vs. benefits in terms of the getting the mesh removed now for those other reasons. He strongly stressed loss of testicle is something to seriously consider, though he did also say it’s never happened under his watch and I know you yourself have suggested it’s pretty rare if removal is done by a skilled surgeon who regularly removes mesh. Sounds like the other big complications would be numbness from damaged nerves or complications from scar tissue and healing that occurs after removal. It’s a gamble.

Thanks again

• drtowfigh

October 21, 2019 at 2:40 am

Scar tissue from the hernia repair can cause a rise in the level of the testicle. Mesh removal is not necessary not recommended. In extreme situations (yours does not sound like one), release of the scar tissue can help lower the testicle to a more normal position.

Penile positioning should not be related to any hernia repair.

• ajm222

October 21, 2019 at 12:44 am
    quote DrBrown:

@amj222
    Since your changes started after the operation, it is probably related to the operation.
    Since the changes are not causing your much trouble, I would not advise you to have anything done at this time.
    Wait until you have healed from the mesh removal operation.
    Regards.
    BIll Brown MD

Thanks, Dr. Brown. Do you mean to wait and see how things are after removal, to see if they improve? Or expect things to stay about the same but maybe do something about it after the healing from removal? If the latter, what could be done?

• DrBrown

October 20, 2019 at 7:27 pm

@amj222
    Since your changes started after the operation, it is probably related to the operation.
    Since the changes are not causing your much trouble, I would not advise you to have anything done at this time.
    Wait until you have healed from the mesh removal operation.
    Regards.
    BIll Brown MD