News Feed Discussions Gore Synecor Mesh

• Gore Synecor Mesh

Posted by Alexander on June 17, 2020 at 5:17 pm

Curious if any of the doctors or patients here have any opinions on the Gore Synecor mesh – a hybrid mesh that has been around for 3 years or so.

Alexander replied 3 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Alexander

June 20, 2020 at 12:31 pm

Yes, any more insights on using this type of mesh for inguinal hernia repair would be appreciated. Do doctors see this mesh causing less chronic pain than other types of mesh? Is it easier to work with during surgery and therefore the placement and outcome are better? The fact that it’s only been around for 3 years… is that a concern that we don’t know how this mesh will hold up in longer time horizon? Those types of insights and details would be really helpful.

• Alephy

June 20, 2020 at 11:58 am

Many medical web sites often rely on the doctors answering questions without going into details. This forum I think is different as the patients have often seen enough surgery that they require now the whole science behind…

• Good intentions

June 20, 2020 at 10:48 am
  • Good intentions

June 20, 2020 at 10:36 am

I added “retroperitoneal” by mistake, above. Still, my questions remain.

How does anyone know that a mesh is best for the patient, in the long-term? Beyond a two week follow appointment.

• Good intentions

June 20, 2020 at 10:25 am

Why? What are your criteria for choosing a mesh? The “large pore” or lightweight concept has flaws, there are several recent paapers showing that lightweight has no real benefit. For inguinal hernias, retropertioneal, tissue ingrowth and incorporation are touted as desirable, so “anti-adhesive” does not seem relevant. I think that Alexander is asking about its use for inguinal hernias. Would you choose this mesh for repairing a typical inguinal hernia?

Most of the sales literature describes properties of the material but there is no description of how it benefits the patient, in the long-run. How would using this material benefit Alexander, many years out, if it was used to repair an inguinal hernia?

I think that is the reason we are all here, to learn more than what the sales brochure describes. No offense intended, but you have not said anything more than what Gore’s sales literature says, which I have linked above. Please add something from your real world experience, ideally with accounts from your patients. Without that, there’s not much value to the comment.

Seriously, we are all just looking for more than what the device makers say.

“Synecor is an excellent mesh and my first choice as a surgeon for IPOM ventral hernia repairs as well as many retro muscular repairs.
    It is made with woven PTFE with large pores. The mesh has excellent anti-adhesive properties.”

• herniamd

June 20, 2020 at 10:05 am

Synecor is an excellent mesh and my first choice as a surgeon for IPOM ventral hernia repairs as well as many retro muscular repairs. It is made with woven PTFE with large pores. The mesh has excellent anti-adhesive properties.

• Good intentions

June 17, 2020 at 9:46 pm

Here is a link to Gore’s sales brochure. Not a single word about the #1 problem with synthetic mesh – chronic pain – just laboratory results from old thoughts about what matters with mesh. A brochure from the 80’s, in essence. Seriously, the brochure looks like it was written in the very early days of synthetic mesh.

It’s really just another variation, with no supporting data.

https://www.goremedical.com/resource/AV0682-EN2