News Feed Discussions Groin pain during sexual activity

• Groin pain during sexual activity

Posted by dh305 on October 26, 2019 at 6:21 pm

5 months in from a bilateral inguinal hernia surgery with mesh tapp and laparoscopic. Recovery has been very slow

started physical therapy a month ago and have seen excellent results. Groin felt much more loose.

Decided to go try to get intimate with the wife finally and there was groin pain, especially with weight on the groin. Next day the groin area was a little sore and iced it a little.

any thoughts on why the groin would be sore still during this activity after 5 months, especially if it’s felt pretty good for a few weeks?

Thanks for any insights.

dh305 replied 4 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • dh305

October 31, 2019 at 9:34 pm

Very interesting. I will discuss all with my surgeon. Thanks !

• ajm222

October 31, 2019 at 6:44 pm
    quote DrBrown:

[USER=”2051″]ajm222[/USER]
    If the patient is thin, then the mesh can often be palpated.
    Also, a needle can be used to assess the the mesh. I will push a 22G needle through the skin. When the needle hits the mesh if the mesh is soft then the needle will pass through easily. If the mesh is scarred then the I have to push to get the needle to pass through the mesh.
    An MRI can also determine how much scarring is around the mesh.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD

Thanks again. I take it a harder mesh would be a problem possibly related to an excessive foreign body reaction, could also often explain pain, and removal would be necessary as I’m assuming that’s not a reversible state.

• DrBrown

October 31, 2019 at 5:29 pm

[USER=”2051″]ajm222[/USER]
    If the patient is thin, then the mesh can often be palpated.
    Also, a needle can be used to assess the the mesh. I will push a 22G needle through the skin. When the needle hits the mesh if the mesh is soft then the needle will pass through easily. If the mesh is scarred then the I have to push to get the needle to pass through the mesh.
    An MRI can also determine how much scarring is around the mesh.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD

• ajm222

October 31, 2019 at 2:03 am
    quote DrBrown:

[USER=”2987″]dh305[/USER]
    There is a good chance that this will resolve with time.
    But it would wise to ask your surgeon to check that your mesh is still soft and that the nerves are not scarred and that the spermatic cord moves smoothly.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD is

How can you tell if the mesh is still ‘soft’? Is it ideally supposed to stay this way? Is this where ‘fibrosis’ comes into play? I don’t mean to hijack the thread. Just curious.

• dh305

October 31, 2019 at 2:03 am

Thanks, Dr. Brown. I will ask those questions during my next follow-up. Can’t believe still having these issues 5 months post-op.

• DrBrown

October 30, 2019 at 11:33 pm

[USER=”2987″]dh305[/USER]
    There is a good chance that this will resolve with time.
    But it would wise to ask your surgeon to check that your mesh is still soft and that the nerves are not scarred and that the spermatic cord moves smoothly.
    Regards.
    Bill Brown MD is