News Feed Discussions Growth of hernia mesh market

• Growth of hernia mesh market

Posted by Good intentions on March 17, 2023 at 11:36 am

I pulled a few links from the internet about the market forecasts for hernia mesh. A few years ago when I looked there were just a few reports. Today there are many.

They are interesting to read, you can see how business people interpret what they read in the medical literature. All that they see is potential return on investment. They see the patient as a “buyer” of hernia mesh. The companies involved are the ones that openly partner with societies like the European Hernia Society and probably partner with others behind the scenes.

Just a view of hernia repair as business investment. Anyone with a retirement account has probably studied the market we can all easily buy stock in any company in the world.

https://www.futuremarketinsights.com/reports/hernia-mesh-devices-market

pinto replied 1 year ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • pinto

March 29, 2023 at 8:02 am

NFG12: “… that [doctors] don’t get surgery, …should say in itself!”

Say what? Says nothing because 1) many reasons exist for avoiding surgery; 2) watchful waiting is highly individualized, allowing some to live lifetimes without surgery; 3) some have managed to live comfortably with grapefruit-sized hernias.

Hello? Hernia surgery is not unique by using plastic implanted devices. Plastics are widely used medically for implanting as they have been found superior to metal and other substances. See “Why is the future of implantable devices plastic?”
    https://www.solvay.com/en/article/why-future-implantable-devices-plastic

Mesh has apparently been involved in some medical tragedies. We all have read about them or experienced such first hand. It’s enough to give pause when contemplating surgery. Although much here at HT has talked about these horrors, very little attention is given to the fact that thousands and thousands of individuals have had successful mesh implants. I know some of them happy about it. We will never be able to understand this disconnect without dispassion.

• NFG12

March 29, 2023 at 1:11 am

The groin is the most complex part of the anatomy! There is this mesh that mesh, polypropylene which is never supposed to be put in the human body, then polyester, pig skin which degrades etc.
    I’ve talked to surgeons themselves that have had golf size reducible hernias that don’t get surgery, thar should say in itself! Bard got sued 12 years short for 3dmax 180 million settlement then settled and pit out lightweight them lol. It’s profit over patient and it’s sad. Polypropylene is never to be intent to go I’m the human body but somehow it is…. people don’t get it’s the foreign body response which our body’s teach by fighting it off which causes horrible inflammation which insures pain that holds the hernia in to say which is like a hole in a tire putting a patch over it so the scar tissue that induces cover the hole. Polypropylene is never supposed to be put in the human body so they make pig skin mesh, polyester etc as they did when bard got sued in 2011 for the heavyweight which is still our today and they settled for 180 million to victims but put out lightweight with bigger pores lol to say bigger pores less inflammation lol profits over patients and still don’t know how they get away with it… they bought the cheapest plastic from a company and was told this is never to be placed in a human body but they did it anyways sadly. They are again paying for it now and they deser6it cause no human should be a guenia pig as with the mesh industry we are sadly enough. 3dmax heavyweight to say is developed to fit the inguinal canal when no 2 inguinal canals are the same… any surgeon or there loved one would never, maybe be a guinea pig yourself to know how you ruin lives and people around them forever….

• pinto

March 18, 2023 at 5:58 am

“Earth to @Good intentions. Earth to @Good intentions. Do you read me?”
    A businessperson, an investor, actually considers return of investment more importantly than altruism? Come on say it’s not true. And I guess you’re gonna tell me research and development of medical technologies require no financial investments, that most medical devices are simply made in the innovator’s backyard or basement for just pennies for the scrap material already laying around? So I guess all the players in the “industry” that is mesh should be working for free, including surgeons and other medical professionals, not to mention the technical innovators and administrators that help make it happen? Would this industry then be a conspiracy to do people in?

• Good intentions

March 17, 2023 at 11:44 am

Some of them have strange information that seems incorrect. Almost like an AI Chatbot wrote them. This looks like information scavenged from the 80’s.

“Open Surgeries to gain popularity due to lesser complications”

https://www.gminsights.com/industry-analysis/hernia-repair-devices-market

• Good intentions

March 17, 2023 at 11:40 am
  • Good intentions

March 17, 2023 at 11:39 am

They see the FDA as supporting the use of mesh. Not really one of the FDA’s original purposes, promoting products.

https://www.reportsanddata.com/report-detail/hernia-mesh-market

“Mesh repair is largely acknowledged as better than basic suture repair in most countries. Tensile strength and porosity are factors that influence mesh’s weight and biocompatibility. Tensile strength is substantially lower than previously assumed, and lightweight meshes are regarded to be preferable due to their enhanced flexibility and less discomfort. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), utilizing hernia mesh may enhance a patient’s results after the surgery, and recovery time may be shorter than with other therapy options.”