News Feed Discussions Had exploratory surgery: How frequently can occult hernias be missed?

• Had exploratory surgery: How frequently can occult hernias be missed?

Posted by Unknown Member on June 14, 2019 at 8:24 pm

Hello I had exploratory surgery for an occult hernia (I am female). My surgeon is well known for hernias in general. But my symptoms are exceedingly similar to an occult hernia. Has anyone heard of a solid surgeon who is looking for an occult surgery actually missing one? Or should I be assured I likely do not have one? Thank you. Perhaps Dr. Towfigh would know this answer…..

drtowfigh replied 4 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • drtowfigh

June 15, 2019 at 5:53 pm

[USER=”2029″]Good intentions[/USER] as always makes the right points.

Surgeons are not infallible. But if a surgical exploration is made and the actual hernia area was dissected away and still there was no hernia, then highly likely there was no hernia.

hernia symptoms can be mimicked by other problems, including hip, sacroiliac, spine, and some Gynecologic disorders.

• Good intentions

June 15, 2019 at 3:17 pm

What did they find from the exploratory surgery? You’re implying that they found nothing. Was it a laparoscopic procedure?

More details would allow someone to give a more specific answer. “Well-known for hernias” could just mean well-known for mesh implantation, not necessarily expertise in diagnosing hernias.

Good luck. You can notify people using the @ symbol then typing their screen name after it. A menu will appear to choose the name from. [USER=”935″]drtowfigh[/USER] [USER=”2910″]21Tara[/USER]