News Feed Discussions HAD MESH REMOVAL YESTERDAY

• HAD MESH REMOVAL YESTERDAY

Posted by Jordan Fitz on April 13, 2022 at 9:37 am

Hey all,

It’s been 24 hours since I had my (open) plug + patch mesh removal by Dr. Krpata at Cleveland Clinic.

I’m laying down icing and watching a movie. I’ve been walking around pretty good but obviously still in a lot of pain.

Here’s what went down and where I’m at so far:

PRIOR HISTORY:

– Had Bard Perfix (medium) Plug + Patch installed 10 years ago (when I was 20). I’m now 30.
    – First year had lots of issues with the initial surgery, then had a good 9 years before having constant issues with the plug + patch (inflammation, auto immune stuff, nerve issues, hip flexor mobility limited, core anatomy started to get thrown off, etc.)
    – A little over a year ago I noticed nerve sensations down my thigh, and started poking around where the plug was, it was painful and felt like a mound had formed / the mesh “moved.”
    – Pain would get so intense I went to the ER 10ish times, had multiple CT scans, MRIs, etc. Of course, all doctors said I was fine and the repair was stable.
    – Flew around the states seeing many doctors and putting in hundreds of hours of research.
    – Led me to Dr. Krpata in Cleveland, Ohio and decided to pull the trigger on removal since the pain was only getting worse, I figured something had to be done

OPEN REMOVAL SURGERY + BASSINI TISSUE REPAIR:

– Went under around 7:30am, was finished by 9am
    – Triple neurectomy was planned, but ended up only talking Illig. nerve
    – Blood supply / testicle was saved
    – Vas Deferans was entagled in mesh so it was taken (I shouldn’t experience hormonal changes as unused sperm is absorbed back into the body)
    – Mesh was completely removed
    – 6in. scar
    – Told doctor if he thought he could get a good tissue repair, go for it, if not, stick another lightweight mesh in. He landed on Bassini repair (not sure if it’s modified or not – will need to confirm with him later)… I’m guessing I’ll probably have a recurrence, but hopefully I can get 10 or so years out of the repair.

I’m happy the mesh is out of me, I can feel a massive difference already with all that mesh mass out of me. I’m definitely in a bunch of pain and pretty constipated (I’ve stopped the OXY as it blocks you up)

Fingers crossed no long term damage and I the trade off was worth it!

Happy to answer any questions and fingers crossed my recovery goes smoothly!

William Bryant replied 2 years ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • William Bryant

April 13, 2022 at 2:49 pm

Fingers crossed for you… Thanks for update. Very useful to those considering mesh removal.

Hopefully will help Chuck as well as others.