News Feed Discussions Help!!! I need some guidance,Young Athletic Dude with Incisional Hernia.

• Help!!! I need some guidance,Young Athletic Dude with Incisional Hernia.

Posted by HerniaStud on January 30, 2018 at 8:52 am

I have an incisional hernia. I have talked to two different surgeons in my state, and they both have the same opinion on repairing it with mesh. I am a thin young athletic guy in my 20s in overall great health. There seems to be some concerns and from reading this forum that people in good shape with thin bodies tend get complications when having mesh repairs.

If so what are some of the surgeons that perform this non mesh repairs?
    Also it is 2018, I wonder if there are any medical advances in repairing these hernias with a low risk of complications?

Im hoping that I could get as many responses as views, that way i could start visiting a few surgeons and present them with my case.

Thank you:)

Ps. (I don’t have no problem going out of state)

drtowfigh replied 6 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • drtowfigh

February 18, 2018 at 3:26 am

[USER=”2400″]HerniaStud[/USER] : incisional hernias are a different animal than inguinal hernias. You are reading a lot of hernia-related issues with inguinal hernias. Incisional hernias do not share that problem as much. It is much less of an issue. Perhaps because there are less nerves there, or more muscle–we don’t know. Incisional hernias should be repaired with mesh. The recurrence rate otherwise is minimum 50-60%. That’s a very high number.

Seek a surgeon you can trust and take their advice. The size of the hernia, location, and your body habitus and lifestyle will dictate what is the best repair for you.

Dr. Meyers is well known for his expertise in treating inguinal disruption injuries in athletes. Seems that is not your problem.

• HerniaStud

February 7, 2018 at 8:06 am

THANK YOU, Good Intentions and LeviProcter FOR YOUR RESPONSES.

Hello, yes my incision hernia in fact does come from one previous surgery. They did an exploratory laparotomy on me in order to save my life. When I went back with this one surgeon to see if he could fix it. He explained to me that basically the mid-line of my abdomen wall is separated causing a hernia to show up. (I DO NOT KNOW EXACTLY HOW FAR OR HOW BIG IT IS) 🙁

Now, since I have been reading articles and different studies published about hernias. I sort of noticed that a lot of people had problems with mesh. And then I stumble across this site and also now I noticed that almost every hernia patient that posts here has problems with mesh. I am a thin dude and from what i have heard, mesh doesn’t really work with my type of body anyways and it causes pain. And some people I know that are college athletes and others that aren’t, have told me to avoid mesh. So i honestly don’t know what to do. I want to get this surgery as soon as possible without mesh and i want the best possible outcome because I DO NOT WANT A RECURRENCE.

I’m going to try to contact Dr.Meyers if possible but I would also like to know if there are more names out there that I could contact. Thank You.:D

• LeviProcter

February 2, 2018 at 1:16 am

What surgery(ies) led to your current hernia? How big is it?

Non-mesh repairs for a true incisional hernia have recurrence rates of approximately 50% at 2-5 years. If component separations are done at the same time of the tissue based repair the recurrence is lower but it’s a massive operation and burns bridges potentially for future repairs.

• Good intentions

February 1, 2018 at 7:27 pm

Incisions usually come from previous surgery, don’t they? The details of where the incisions came from might help.

Chaunce1234 (Dr. Earle) made a comment recently about knowing of surgeons who do non-mesh repairs on professional athletes. When I was looking for surgeon I tried to find that type of doctor but couldn’t find any. That was three years ago. The laparoscopic mesh repair movement is even stronger now, but you might have better luck. Look at Dr. Earle’s recent posts.

If you’re okay with traveling and maybe spending more money that if you stay in your insurance plan you might contact the Vincera Institute. Dr. Meyers is known for working on athletes.

https://vincerainstitute.com

Good luck.

• HerniaStud

February 1, 2018 at 5:08 am

i just re-edited this because my last post was not clear nor concise. Thank You.:cool: