News Feed Discussions Hernia anatomy

• Hernia anatomy

Posted by Alephy on January 22, 2020 at 11:49 pm

As it seems an inguinal hernia is not a tear or hole but rather the muscle wall giving in, I am just wondering whether some future treatement might focus on restoring the strength and tension of the muscles and fascia instead…the suturing bit is done to apply tension in the tissues right? It is not something that is done to close a hole in the end other than the hole the surgeon makes to access the hernia and push it back….I am surprised no chemical was found that increases tension in a tissue like they do with wrinkles…

Alephy replied 4 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Alephy

February 28, 2020 at 1:57 am

I am still baffled by the fact that many surgeons/doctors still talk of a hole for a direct inguinal hernia.
    Is it because they only use meshes these days and do not get to delve into the anatomy anymore?
    Is it an attempt to simplify things for the patient?
    Is it because maybe sometimes there is a kind of “a hole”?
    Is it because effectively during surgery they will make a hole in certain procedures?

I truly do not understand it!

• drtowfigh

February 3, 2020 at 5:48 am

Direct and indirect are different animals. Indirect is a hole. Direct is a laxity.

• kaspa

January 24, 2020 at 11:34 am

That’s the most common use for cyanoacrylate in hernia repair research. Mesh is always there!

• Alephy

January 23, 2020 at 2:05 pm

I could only find mention of cyanoacrylate as part of a glue to attach the mesh. … 🤔

• kaspa

January 23, 2020 at 12:09 pm

There are some experiments with chemicals with good results in China. They simply obliterated the hernial sac with cyanoacrylate. Thus, even with a great hole, abdominal contents has nowhere to go. There are also some such experiments in animals and small babies, but for some reason professionals insist injecting that by laparoscopy instead of a simple trans-cutaneous injection. Anyway, only new mesh details are highly broadcasted by professional associations, so the show must go on.