News Feed Discussions Hernia, Lipoma, something else?

• Hernia, Lipoma, something else?

Posted by ajm222 on September 26, 2017 at 6:41 pm

Hello,

I recently went to my primary care physician because I noticed after shaving that the right side of my pubic area appeared to be a bit more pronounced than the other side. I know this area can have a lot of fatty tissue there, and both sides appear a little puffed up, but the left just doesn’t feel or look as thick. I recently lost about 50 pounds as well as still have some belly and lower fat that hasn’t completely gone away. My PCP looked and at first thought an inguinal hernia might be possible, but when doing the cough test he said he didn’t feel anything at all and then suggested it was either my anatomy or perhaps the beginnings of an inguinal hernia. He said it was nothing to be concerned about at this time. But I have health anxiety/hypochondria and OCD, so not really knowing for sure is bothering me. Considering getting a second opinion next week.

I guess I am wondering if there is any way to be sure myself. When I feel the bulging area just above the penis and to the right it feels mostly like fatty tissue, similar to the other side, but just more of it. But if I push on it a little it seems like maybe there’s something else there in one small spot that I can move around. Nothing painful. And it doesn’t seem to make much of a difference if I am lying down or standing up. I do have occasional testicular soreness on either side and groin pain, but I’ve been having that since taking up jogging regularly and also since a vasectomy. Also went to the doctor a couple of years ago for nausea issues and was diagnosed with a possible case of mild IBS, though at the time I was having other symptoms that were often higher up near my actual stomach and even chest and throat.

Just wondering if there is anything else I could check for in order to see what’s really going on.

Thanks

ajm222 replied 6 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ajm222

September 27, 2017 at 12:35 pm
    quote drkang:

Hi,
    To see if it is a hernia, you can take an inguinal ultrasound exam.
    The test should be done in a standing posture with valsalva force.

Thank you!

Thanks! I’ll mention that when I go for a second opinion next week with another physician. Though I am wondering if I should go straight to a general surgeon instead.

• drkang

September 27, 2017 at 3:47 am

Hi,
    To see if it is a hernia, you can take an inguinal ultrasound exam.
    The test should be done in a standing posture with valsalva force.

Thank you!