News Feed Discussions Hernia pain just prior to period?

• Hernia pain just prior to period?

Posted by egr287 on May 3, 2018 at 8:33 pm

Hi all, I have had terrible pelvic pain that comes like clockwork 12 days before my period and ends with my period. I had lap surgery (and lots of imaging before and after) bc of a suspicion of endo or adeno, neither of which were the case. The only thing that gives me relief from the pain (for a little bit) is when I get a genitofemoral and inguinal nerve block, and it turns out I have bilateral inguinal hernia and a femoral hernia (pubalgia MRI showed). Do you think the hernias are causing this pelvic pain? Everyone seems confused as to why I have pain only 12 days before my period and no other time (including if I lift something during the non-pain times). The only thing I can think of is that people swell during the course of the cycle and maybe this is why the hernias only cause pain then? I really would like to get to the bottom of this pain because I would like to know if a hernia surgery will address this terrible 9/10 pain I have for half each month

Herniator replied 6 years ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Herniator

May 7, 2018 at 3:24 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience: Hernia surgery will not address your period pain, the findings on the scan are incidental ? I would investigate the period pain first, then hernias can be operated on especially if symptomatic, but may not cure this pain

• Good intentions

May 7, 2018 at 1:09 am

A woman just posted about her imaging work showing hernias, then finding out that there were none when she had surgery. See her post titled “Bilateral hernia repairs”. I don’t know anything about your pain problem, but a misdiagnosis of hernias, plus your pain, could lead you to choose unnecessary surgery. Be careful.

You can message Dr. Towfigh to make sure she sees your post, and/or to give her more details. [USER=”935″]drtowfigh[/USER] Good luck.