News Feed Discussions Hernia Prevention?

• Hernia Prevention?

Posted by Alan on November 23, 2022 at 6:34 pm

Does anyone know of any research on hernia prevention? Or post hernia repair exercises?, I’m worried about developing indirect inguinal hernias, I’ve read the risk is higher if you’ve had direct previously (and vice versa).

I was planning on doing an hour a day walking and taking up weight lifting next year.

William Bryant replied 1 year, 1 month ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • William Bryant

February 6, 2023 at 8:18 am
  • William Bryant

February 6, 2023 at 5:11 am

I think I read that in Brighton there is a physio or yoga place that claims it’s cured some hernias?

• Walter Ferran

February 6, 2023 at 1:34 am

For me there is a drastic change after the physio. Now also continuing it!

• Katherine

November 25, 2022 at 2:31 pm

I don’t know if there is a way to avoid them. I think we are born with a genetic predisposition to them. I think my primary reason for saying this is that in my “former healthy life” I knew many bodybuilders that were into lifting very, very heavy weights (like 1-2 rep max stuff). None of them I knew ever got a hernia while doing so. Some of these guys were putting 5 – 45 pound plates on both sides of a 45 pound bar – that’s close to 500 pounds.

• roger555

November 24, 2022 at 3:35 am

I think the best approach is not to do anything that puts undue pressure on your abdominals. That would include coughing heavy lifting strenght training,stretching which caused my current hernia, your posture when sleeping sitting standing sneezing. I plan on going to Dr Kang soon. Typed a much longer post on my phone with one finger and it didn’t post. Oh well.

• Alephy

February 6, 2023 at 6:39 am

It is also my experience ie if I stop training when eg ill I will then feel the hernia at times vs no symptoms if I exercise regularly… personally the way I see is after a certain age one should always exercise whether you have an hernia or not.

• Walter Ferran

February 2, 2023 at 9:25 pm

“Research on hernia prevention is almost non-existent, so you can not follow any specific methods. But it is possible to reduce your risk by keeping your body weight in check, taking care of your diet, avoiding work that stresses your abdominal area, doing regular exercise, maintaining good posture and frequent self-examination for early detection. Whether you have had surgical repair of a hernia or are in the early stages of a hernia – symptoms can often be managed with appropriate physiotherapy intervention. Here are some simple things to increase your core strength and prevent hernia:
    1.  Take a few deep breaths and do a few gentle crunches to strengthen your core muscles. 2.  Wear a belt around your waist. 3.  Try to reduce your weight. 4.  Lift heavy objects with your legs. 5.  Avoid twisting your body. 6.  If you bend, then bend at the knees and not your waist. 7.  Avoid lifting heavy weights or doing excessive exercise. ”