News Feed Discussions Hernia reoccurs after 1 year, conservative method or surgery again?

• Hernia reoccurs after 1 year, conservative method or surgery again?

Posted by andrewY on April 9, 2018 at 5:33 am

Hi All,
    In early of 2017 I had a right side inguinal hernia repair (TEP) by a famous surgeon in California. But very surprisingly, it reoccurred after 1 year, without heavy lifting. My new doctor who checked me said that the most reasons for hernia reoccur is the mesh flipping or folding. I was so surprised and shocked that I fall into the 2-4% rate of hernia occurring considering the 1st surgeon is famous and the TEP repair reoccurring rate is so low, and so disappointed with the 1st surgeon, as after the surgery he told me, you are 100% completely recovered, there is no limit.
    Now I’m doubt on whether to use hernia surgery or not, I’m thinking if I do a surgery now, what about in case it comes back again after several years? then how many holes will be on my belly? and if it reoccurs, what will the final solution to my hernia?

I happen to see there is a Indian made medicine called “Hernica” which is specifically designed to remove inflammation of the intestines & strengthening the abdominal wall, without the need of surgery. The URL is at https://www.grocare.com/diagnose/hernia.
    It’s said that this medicine is FDA approved, and after using it for 40 days , the patient will see effect on the hernia. Wonder did anyone ever use it or heard of it?

Although now my right side hernia give me some uncomfortable feeling, I’m really hesitated to do any surgery now, pls share your story and comment.

Thanks a lot!

Br,
    Chunlin

Good intentions replied 6 years ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Good intentions

April 9, 2018 at 7:18 pm

Do you know what type of mesh was used? There are many different kinds, and it’s unclear if they have real differences in performance. And was the original hernia direct or indirect? Did you get your surgical records?

Is the surgeon famous for hernia repair or just generally famous? Have you told him or her about the failure? Maybe they can use their fame for some good.

After a TEP surgery most subsequent hernia repairs are done via the open procedure. Some surgeons will try TAPP, depending on what they are trying to fix. TAPP leaves more and bigger scars than TEP.