News Feed Discussions Hernia Discussion Hernia surgeons in the UK and Germany–feedback

• Hernia surgeons in the UK and Germany–feedback

Posted by dagme on July 9, 2024 at 3:42 pm

[just posting this here as well as in updates, because I’m not sure if there’s any difference in who reads them…]

I wanted to hear if anyone has experiences–good or bad!–with the places I’m considering getting my hernia operated on…or knowledge of their surgeons in general [and any general observations, Dr Towfigh, if you have them!]

I have a right-side inguinal hernia which I’ve had for about six years (almost entirely pain free although it’s sometimes a little uncomfortable), which is now going into the scrotum.

I really have no idea which technique would be best to repair it, and of course the proponents of each technique are very keen to tell you how terrible all the others are! Something instinctive tells me that I’m not wildly keen on having mesh implanted, but the pro-mesh people seem to say a lot that the failure rate of stitched repairs is much worse.

The main options I’m considering are Dr Koch in Cottbus in Germany (Shouldice or Desarda technique, non-mesh); and the British Hernia Centre in London (mesh but, according to them, much better surgeons and a less problematic technique than a lot of national health service hospitals).

These are some of the questions I’m interested in, but any and all experiences of these places would be interesting:

–what kind of hernia did you have?

–what kind of hernia operation did you have, and how long ago?

–have you ever needed to have the same hernia operated on again (i.e did the first op fail in some way)?

–what was the post-operative pain/discomfort like (how much? for how long? do you still get it? does it affect other parts of the body than the operation wound?)

–how long did it take for you to get back to ordinary activities, to work, and to lifting things? [Asking partly because obviously I would need to get myself and suitcase back to my home country, and also because I have a dog, approx. 20 kg, for whom i don’t have a replacement walker. My job is not a physical one but I talk quite a lot].

–are there other side-effects of the operation?

–if you had mesh implanted: could you feel the mesh inside you after the operation [and was it painful/uncomfortable if so, or more just an awareness that something extra was there]?

Thanks!

nn123 replied 6 days, 15 hours ago 6 Members · 22 Replies
  • 22 Replies
  • nn123

August 9, 2024 at 12:03 am

Hi I’m in london Uk and also been diagnosed with inguinal hernia right side. I have now met with consultant and none will do non mesh open repair.

The options offered to me are either

Open with mesh. Or

LAPROSCOPIC with mesh.

I joined the British hernia society and last night there was a zoom presentation hosted by BHS with dr Ralp Lorenz who is a recognised hernia expert in Germany .

Worth viewing.

https://youtu.be/nHEAJeCg6tM?si=UTbZ8DSe3RdoRW-D

From what I read laparoscopic is not for me given family history of prostate cancer and the additional complications of prostate surgery should it be required if hernia surgery was laproscopic.

So if it’s open it seems its mesh in the UK. I have not found a surgeon too date in the uk that has high volume experience of non mesh shouldice or desarda surgery.

Do you know any in UK?

Thanks

• virendra

August 22, 2024 at 2:28 am

Hi Nick

Please check with Drymousis

He does high volume tissue repair

but need to validate don’t know how

• nn123

August 22, 2024 at 2:38 am

Hi please do call me we can compare notes . I live in london

Nick

07785 384845

• virendra

August 9, 2024 at 9:32 am

Please check with Dr Drymousis

His profile says he does no mesh surgery

I am seeing him this month as well

• nn123

August 9, 2024 at 9:47 am

Thank you which date are you seeing him .?

• virendra

August 9, 2024 at 9:52 am

20th August

• nn123

August 15, 2024 at 4:31 pm

Be good to hear how many non mesh operations he has completed. From my research into this an area I have understood that non mesh surgery is most successful in younger patients and small inguinal hernias.

I’m not sure as to the reasons why but this is my take and if you have a medium size inguinal hernia then most surgeons that offer non mesh will recommend mesh.

I have been in touch with the shouldice clinic in Canada and they seem to have strict criteria before they offer surgery and you need to meet weight guidelines etc

Hope this helps but do update us after the 20th with mr drymousis

• dagme

July 29, 2024 at 3:37 pm

I’ve just noticed you’ve suggested some surgeons in particular places in North America, Dr Towfigh. Do You have any useful information/suggestions regarding my situation–about surgeons or anything else?

• Mike M

July 11, 2024 at 1:50 pm

#1. Direct Hernia

#2. 2+ years ago now?

#3. No. Operation was a success.

#4. Every person is different by people are cleared to go back to normal after 2-4 weeks typically with Dr. Kang. Personally I waited a year until I started lifting heavy and working out vigorously again which is probably way overboard. I ended up gaining 20lbs as a result of being “too safe” then losing 40lbs while adding 10lbs of muscle over the 5 months. This is 10lbs less than when I left South Korea. I plan on losing another 25lbs and attempting to gain another 8-10 lbs of muscle over the next 6 months

This speaks to the robustness of the repair and should help dispel some myths of mesh always being the “gold standard” especially in higher than normal BMI circumstances.

The only thing I am avoiding long term is heavy weight conventional squats atm.

Dr. Kang is the only person I would go to or go back to for a no mesh repair. I researched the others extensively. No Mesh is invasive enough without a lot of the added measures completed by the standard Shouldice procedure with equal or less positive results from feedback.

Edit: I did go with prolene non-absorbable sutures which was the standard for his procedure and because of the BMI considerations.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Mike M.
    • dagme

July 15, 2024 at 1:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Mike. Could you say why no-mesh is so much more invasive? And what are the additional measures that deter you from Shouldice?–asking because Dr Koch does Shouldice or Desarda.

• nn123

August 15, 2024 at 4:34 pm

I have found some top hernia dr in Germany and was surprised to see that the majority of inguinal hernias in Germany are mesh repairs and whilst dr like dr Koch and others offer non mesh the majority of operations are with mesh .

• virendra

August 17, 2024 at 12:32 pm

I also had a chat with Dr Ralph Lorenz from Germany day before yesterday.

He was suggesting Shouldice to me

Dr Lorenz does 300 non mesh surgeries annually

• nn123

August 17, 2024 at 1:03 pm

I have considered going to Germany but having researched hernia surgery in Germany it appears the vast majority is mesh. It seems the whole world is mesh and few doctors complete non mesh repairs. They are in a minority and inguinal surgery non mesh requires a small inguinal hernia and younger patients. This rules me out. Also I feel going to Germany say with dr Lorenz whom I’m sure is a very good dr seems a long way from home god forbid any difficulties emerged. Let me know how you get on with dr drymousis

• virendra

August 17, 2024 at 1:31 pm

I think it’s better to meet doctor Lorenz in person and let him do all the scanning and tests which will enable him to take an informed decision as it depends upon lot many factors and not necessarily it’s for a young patient

I too am in my late 50s and I informed doctor Lorenz about this but he didn’t show any concerns about my age

• nn123

August 17, 2024 at 3:07 pm

I agree need to have a face to face consultation to assess patient before agreeing course of action is wise. Let me know if you decide to go and see him. I think /hope you will get good input on your options with mr drymousis and if he advises non mesh in your case . Good luck

• virendra

August 20, 2024 at 12:21 pm

Met doctor Drymousis today

Amazing doctor

Expert in both desarda and shouldice

It was a good meeting

• Good intentions

July 10, 2024 at 2:17 pm

Read through the old posts. The activity on the site has dropped to almost nothing compared to before the change to the new format. But the old stories are still in the Forum section. Nothing has changed, the same mesh is used in the same ways, with the same problems.

If you do decide to go with a mesh implant and have problems soon after I would recommend having it removed as soon as possible. My body is sitll changing after three years of mesh irritation. I think that if Ihad had it removed right away rather than trying to adjust to it I would be much better off today.

Also, beware the surgeon who is a big fan of mesh, that feigns ignorance of the problems or blames the patient. Somewhat ironically, a surgeon that rmeoves mesh is probably a good choice since they might have some insights in to what works best and what does not.

Good luck.

• dagme

July 15, 2024 at 1:09 pm

As I understand it, Dr Koch does do that–but his first-time operations are non-mesh. Do you have any experience of him?

• Wim

August 20, 2024 at 5:06 am

I am 12 day post-op from surgery in Cottbud. Zero pain anymore, can walk long without issues. Only thing that reminds me of the surgery is that the scarf that is still hard.

• Good intentions

August 20, 2024 at 10:23 am

What type of repair was performed, and who did it? I assume that you meant Cottbus, not Cottbud.

12 days is not long. Good luck.

• Wim

August 20, 2024 at 11:18 am

Indeed Cottbus. The ‘local’ Shouldice method, for Desarda I was too old (you need strong tissues for that).

I will keep posting here when time goes by.

• nn123

August 15, 2024 at 4:41 pm

After extensive research it seems to me that open mesh surgery is the standard by which the vast majority of inguinal hernias are repaired. This applies to USA, UK and across Europe. Like many patients hearing the horror stories of mesh has driven me in a direction to avoid it but I’m thinking big picture recurrence rates and rates of chronic pain are no different where large clinical studies have been completed upon which empirical evidence can be believed. Sadly it seems there is little control over claims that can be made by individual doctors on websites so I think we all need to tread carefully to make the best individual decision.