News Feed Discussions Hernia that didn’t completely reduce

• Hernia that didn’t completely reduce

Posted by deepblue on March 23, 2016 at 6:52 am

Thanks for providing this site and for helping so many people.

I was diagnosed with the following via ultrasound:

“There is an indirect inguinal hernia present with Valsalva maneuver which did not completely reduce with relaxation. There are no signs of strangulation.”

My concern is over the “did not completely reduce” section. As I have read that any degree of irreducibility predisposes to strangulation.

Does the diagnosis above mean that this hernia is classed as irreducible, or just that it happened to not be fully reducible on that day while taking the ultrasound?

My GP stated that irreducibility is not a concern with a hernia and that that since I am not in pain I do not need to opt for a surgical repair at the present time.

drtowfigh replied 8 years ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • drtowfigh

March 26, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Hernia that didn’t completely reduce

Your GP’s statement is correct.

There is a spectrum. Your symptoms are much more important in determining need for hernia repair.

Hernias that are partially reducible may or may not strangulate. There is no strong evidence to show that such hernias lead to strangulation, which is a surgical emergency, especially if the content includes intestine.

Acutely incarcerated hernias that are painful and fully irreducible are considered higher risk for strangulation.

Hope that helps.