News Feed Discussions HerniaTalk **LIVE** Q&A: Biocompatibility of Mesh Implants 01/17/2023

• HerniaTalk **LIVE** Q&A: Biocompatibility of Mesh Implants 01/17/2023

Posted by drtowfigh on January 15, 2023 at 7:22 am

HerniaTalk LIVE is a weekly Q&A hosted by Dr Shirin Towfigh, hernia surgeon expert at the Beverly Hills Hernia Center, with invited special Guests to answer your hernia-related questions.

Topic: Biocompatibility of Mesh Implants

Guest Panelist: Noreen Wideman, Patient Advocate & Medical Mesh Complications Survivor

Join us this Tuesday 01/17/2023, at 4:30 pm Pacific time (GMT -8) as a Facebook Live (@Dr.Towfigh). You can also register to join via Zoom here: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_6CT584kkSnmRzjpbe1uRAg

You can watch archived episodes of HerniaTalk LIVE on http://www.YouTube.com/@herniadoc

drtowfigh replied 1 year, 3 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • drtowfigh

January 22, 2023 at 12:40 pm

Regarding first line of care for those with allergies and urticaria, it depends on the extent of and details of that. It also depends on the hernia.

• Alephy

January 22, 2023 at 7:24 am

This was a very interesting talk!
    @drtowfigh what is your first line of care with patients with allergies and/ or urticaria? I happen to have both and while not debilitating but only annoying I would consider myself not a candidate for mesh repair or any implant in general…

• Johnso

January 19, 2023 at 9:45 pm

Dr Towfigh:

Thank you for asking Noreen this question.

Her petition also included a request to “establish a patient registry for all implantable devices to enable long term follow-up and surveillance”. I assume she is still pursuing this because I do not believe one exists in Canada this time.

She certainly is an extremely knowledgeable and dedicated person who is doing what she can to improve patient safety.

Johnso

• drtowfigh

January 17, 2023 at 2:32 pm

Will ask her!

• Johnso

January 16, 2023 at 10:04 pm

Dr. Towfigh:

I am looking forward to listening to this talk.

I hope Noreen Wideman has the time to comment on the Canadian Government’s response to the Petition she initiated regarding Synthetic Mesh Implants that was presented to the House of Commons by Martin Shields (MP Bow River) in 2018.

johnso